• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
Great info on this thread. And everyone loves A Bit of Color. Do you dickheads know where I could buy a nice purple pocket square to go with a double breasted grey pin stripe? And ...please ....don't say Ebay.
-B

Tailor Dan

Reaction score

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a question:

I hate matching ties and pocket squares, it looks awful. I'm wondering though if this not only works but is SF approved: burgundy tie, white shirt, and white linen pocket square with red edge. Is it too matchy? The red edge of the PS is a different shade than the burgundy tie though.

Last edited:

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't think that would work because the burgundy and red, while they are harmonious from a monochromatic colour theory perspective, the hues and shades have to be spot on. Much easier to match to a complimentary, triadic or tetradic colour. Use this tool for more help: http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Just a question:

I hate matching ties and pocket squares, it looks awful. I'm wondering though if this not only works but is SF approved: burgundy tie, white shirt, and white linen pocket square with red edge. Is it too matchy? The red edge of the PS is a different shade than the burgundy tie though.

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There are other better colour tools that are out there but that was the first one I could find online. I have one on my android tablet called colour buddy that allows you to select an exact colour and then run the colour theory you want on it.
^^^^ +1, nice color tool

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, Color Buddy looks good. I can see how this will be useful when you're on the go, say out shopping. Thanks for the tip.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first time wearing a pocket square. Comments/suggestions please!

Tailor Dan

Reaction score

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first step is making the decision to wear a pocket square and following through. Having said that, your shirt tie, and suit seem to be part of a tone on tone motif (blue base). I don't use analogous colors, and I can't really say if the PS works. I would think that a complimentary color such as orange would make more sense.

appolyon has posted some very useful color tools directly above. Check them out, and experiment.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pretty much have only used white linen before... But I am thinking it is time to up the dandy level a bit with some color...

Any recs on where to score good patterned and colored squares besides just waiting on classifieds? $50 for a square piece of silk seems a lot, although maybe there is more handwork that goes into them then I am aware of...

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I need a pocketsquare for the following outfit: tan suit, light purple micro gingham, navy knit tie, dark brown belt and brogues.

I'm thinking of a light purple center with a thin navy edging. paisley is not a must:

I can't find anything comparable online and I have looked almost everywhere. thrift stores don't exist where I live and a brick and mortar search yielded no results either. I'm this close to printing it on a piece of paper and wear it with confidence. I hate it when I have a clear image of something in my head but apparently doesn't exist.

any help welcome. money ain't a thang. there's no price tag on having piece of mind.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads