1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Gus, Mar 1, 2011.

1. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

I saw some very similar ones posted on Tumblr from P. J. Johnson. They look really unique. (Where did you see them?)

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Seems like they would be too thick.

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

On The Fly here in San Francisco. They have an online presence, too.

They're on the smaller end of the typical size range, so there's probably as much material to get stuffed as with 17" thick linen or silk square. Just speculation on my part, though.

4. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I agree with Kent. Even if they are on the small side, having a pocket square that appears to be made with a jersey knit would seem too bulky and heavy. Even if not physically, then visually. I'll stick with lightweight cotton, linen, silk and wool.

5. Gus

Hey, what is it with On The Fly and their pocket squares??? They need some help in editing their selection.

6. davesmith

Quote:
    I can't really speak but their website needs some help. It took me quite a while to find the PS and then I wondered what they were doing in the clothing section!!

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I'm sure Ami and Jesse would be happy to hear your thoughts about their selection of squares and the usability of the site. They're good guys.

8. Gus

9. clarksdb

clarksdb Distinguished Member

Hey I was hoping I could get some shirt, tie, pocket square combination help for a relative's wedding I have to attend. It is a two day event with the more formal event on day 2. Here is what I'm thinking. Please give feedback and criticism. If something doesnt work/isnt that good then let me know.

Day 1:

- Navy Suit
    - Brooks Brothers Blue Shirt
    - Burgundy Grenadine Kent Wang Tie
    - Mustard Silk Pocket Square with Red and Blue design

I think the gold pocket square is a good combination with the blue shirt. Meanwhile, the burgundy tie works with the blue shirt.

Day 2:

- Navy Suit
    - Brooks Brothers White French Cuff Shirt
    - Dark Green Grenadine Tie
    - Kent Wang White Linen Pocket Square with Red Edge

I'm thinking the dark green tie goes well with the white shirt. As for the pocket square, is there a better option than white ps on white shirt? I think the red edge is a good contrast though (?) with the dark green tie?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

^Sounds fine, although I'm always worried about wearing red and green together because of the strong Christmas connotation. But if it's just a red edge, I'm sure it's fine.

11. Gus

I would like to suggest a different approach. The solid dark green and burgundy ties seem a little too fall/winter, dark and somber for a spring/summer wedding. I took a look at Kent Wang's site and here is what I would recommend.

For the day of the wedding his classic wedding tie
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wear it with the white FC shirt, white Linen square and black shoes.

As far as the first evening, you have a few options from Kent:

If you are going more formal the next day with the look suggested above, why not try something a bit more relaxed and expressive? Yet it is "safe" being a blue and white color story.

The navy knit tie with blue and white dots and the white linen square with the sky blue border?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or a solid white linen square and this shepard check in navy against a blue or white shirt. Again, these are rather simple blue and white combos but they are easy to pull off.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

12. Pluripotent

Pluripotent Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but lets say you ruin a favorite shirt or tie with a stain. Has anyone ever tried to use the material to make pocket squares? Seems like you could get some nice pocket squares out of something that would otherwise be unwearable...

(I have a white shirt with blue stripes that got a yellow spot on the elbow somehow and I was thinking it might make a nice pocket square).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

13. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Distinguished Member

Yes, I've tried it. Works fine, but I should have made the square a bit smaller, as the cotton is bulkier than a silk PS. Sam Hober's site has instructions.

14. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yes, it's a good idea.

I've done this in the past for some customers, and sho'nuff said it was like one of those stories you read about where a couple is seriously injured in a car accident, the wife suffers a critical wound to her heart and the husband is killed but they transplant the husband's heart into his wife's chest so his heart goes on living inside her. Brings a tear to the eye.

Oh, sho'nuff says the darnedest things.

15. davesmith