Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Mar 1, 2011.

1. gateslion

gateslion Well-Known Member

This may be a newbish question, but I am also newly venturing into pocket squares. When working the suit, no tie, pocket square set up, would it work to pick a pocket square using the color/pattern you WOULD have chosen for a tie? Basic example, navy suit or blazer, white shirt, no tie, bold, dark red based PS?

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Probably not a bad place to start - but you can obviously be a lot crazier in patterns with the pocket square because only a little will show

3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

good luck. i always tie with a double four in hand and still cant get it to look like that. wish someone could enlighten me.

4. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

i have this exact PS. its cheap. If I recall, it came as a set of 3 by geoffrey beene. I picked it up at marshalls for like 9 bucks for all of em.

5. TTO

TTO Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -TTO

6. DM66

DM66 Senior member

+1............I'm wearing a navy suit to my rehearsal dinner and may just wear a white shirt underneath and was wondering about the pocket square.

7. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I used to not wear ties that often and just wore a pocket square, but now I wear ties most of the time if I'm wearing a sportcoat, and most definitely if I'm wearing a suit. Don't be shy. Just do it. Especially to a rehearsal dinner. If there's one chance to dress up a little, this is it.

Otherwise, what gateslion suggested is fine.

8. Rich0116

Rich0116 Senior member

First off, why are you wearing a suit and no tie? ;)

Kidding aside, IMO the "rules" don't change that much without a tie. Stick to plain colors or simple patterns for a more conservative look; don't explicitly "match" your PS with any other part of your outfit; try to pick a fabric that provides some textural contrast or interest; etc...

I like the idea of a bolder silk PS when going tie-less, especially if you're tie-less with a suit. When I'm tie-less it's usually with slacks and an odd jacket or blazer and I tend to pick a bolder patterned PS to provide visual interest that might otherwise be overkill when wearing a tie as well.

9. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

**update...I got this knot figured out. it is a double 4 in hand, but i was tucking the large end through BOTH, only go through the one on top (hope this makes sense) the material of the tie makes a huge difference. I got it to work on a really lightweight linen tie i had laying around.

10. DM66

DM66 Senior member

I understand what you're saying, Kent. I'm the groom and will be wearing a gray suit for the wedding day and just wanted to be a hair more casual and relaxed for the rehearsal dinner. I like Clooney's look in the previous pictures. I'm thinking of either a white shirt or maybe a light gray shirt. The PS I think maybe should be silk. The suit is plain Navy with no pattern or texture, so I'm not sure exactly what to do to make it pop a little or just go clean with just a white linen PS. Aaahhhhh.....such a neophyte!

11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Not trying to plan your wedding for you, but in my opinion not wearing a tie to the rehearsal dinner turns down the formality way more than just a hair. I really wouldn't do it. You have plenty of occasions not to wear a tie, and few where it's almost expected. Make the most of this one. Also, many of your guests will likely be wearing ties, and you don't want to be looking like you take the occasion less seriously than they do. If you want to make it more casual, I'd rather go with a SC and tie (but sticking to solids or conservative patterns) than a suit without a tie.

12. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

[​IMG]
    received my 2 pocketsquares from spoo
    (BB shirt from steve smith)
    i guess i need to learn how to do a proper "puff" or some other folds now

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Glad you enjoyed the lightning fast shipping and ultra low prices! :bigstar:

14. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

i need a "how to" tutorial on tie knotting and pocketsquare folding/puffing spoo-style
    :slayer:

15. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

I think the fellas at put this on need to interview spoo. :lol::lol: