Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Mar 1, 2011.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. GusW

3. GusW

4. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

I have a beat to death blue velvet jacket that I wear with jeans all the time, but have never put a tie & PS with it. This gives me some ideas. :satisfied:

5. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

^ I have that one as well and really like it.

EDIT: Oops, that was meant to refer to PG's square

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Hopefully yours actually fits you, unlike this guy.

7. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

It does, even if I buttoned it, which I wouldn't do with this particular one...I just may pop a picture in the casual thread.

8. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

this gives me a semi. :inlove: anyone know what kind of knot that is?

9. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

^ Only problem with that is the collar is a bit messed up apart from that, Perfection!!

10. GusW

Here are my top 8 recommended pocket squares

1) White linen. Every guy should have one. Buy the best you can, you will wear it more often than your favorite tie.

[​IMG]

2) Navy Paisley- This is actually dark blue with white and cream colors with a jacquard weave. I wear a lot of navy so this is a subtle almost stealth pocket square when worn with a blue blazer. It doesn't shout "I'm wearing a pocket square!". I like that sometimes. And, with dark blue and cream colors it goes with almost everything making it ideal for travel. The jacquard weave is one I would recommend for anyone in any color to add a bit of texture. It adds nice variety to the normal smooth silk pocket squares.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3) Paprika- The pocket square cliche in the 80's and 90's was a red. I find that paprika is far more interesting especially in fall and winter and especially when wearing earth tones and a blue shirt. This is a favorite because of the nice large swirling pattern, the medium blue highlights. It is actually quite versatile and a nice change from the more typical white linen, burgundy or navy classics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4) Purple Ancient Madder Print- Purple is a great classic accent color. This print is especially nice because it contains medium grey making it ideal to pair with classic grey flannels. I'm all for picking up bits of color in my pocket square that are found in the rest of my outfit. That gives a coordinated and harmonious look IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5) Fall Mix Colors- This one is from Holland & Holland and it seems to go with just about anything I wear in three seasons. The navy ground becomes far more interesting with small bits of gold, green, blue, red, brown-all your fall and winter colors. I think this comes as close to a perfect color combination for fall and winter that you can find .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6) Madras- When spring and summer come around I want classic seasonal colors. I think madras looks relaxed and fresh every spring and ideal with light weight seasonal clothing. Get yourself one of these and you will wear it for years to come.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7) Blue & White Linen- This one happens to have an orange edge for a little more contrast. But, Blue and White linen by itself also always looks fresh. This is another one that is perfect for spring and summer when you want the light brighter colors of the season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8) Orange Patterned Square- Either one of these will do. One is silk while one is cotton and wool. Both are from British firms. The oranges work well for fall and winter and add a nice highlight to most earth tone suits and jackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  11. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

I think my main issue (with regards to pocket squares, that is) is picturing them in use with various 'fits. Every single one that PSG just posted doesn't especially interest me laid out flat, but looks absolutely stellar in use. Stuff like madras has never done it for me, but in practice, especially in the shot of the cream jacket and brown tie, looks great.

12. GusW

^^^When I buy a pocket square I always take it for a test drive by popping it into the breast pocket of a jacket. You really want to see how it looks in the pocket for the right effect and to see how much different the colors look when a small amount of the square is actually showing.

13. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I agree. I see the squares and think they are too much, but when I see them tucked away even the loudest ones look subdued :)

14. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

agreed. I hate that turned up collar look....but dammit i need to figure out how to tie that....looks liek a double 4 in hand but mine never look that smooth.

15. GusW

As an option to the madras I posted above you might look for this one. It is made by the French company Simonnot - Godard and is carried by top-tier retailers and specialty shops. The weave and fabric is stunning. Being a bit more colorful it may not be quit as versatile but it is far more impressive than a typical gingham, IMO. One square like this or in another madras color story is the perfect addition to your basic 8 or so pocket squares.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]