1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Mar 1, 2011.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I might tuck my PS in just a bit more but I like this mix. Not CBD but fun. The lavender/purple and white linen makes a nice combination with the cream jacket. [​IMG]

2. GusW

Usually I don't like to match a pocket square to the shirt unless it is white, but in this case I do. It seems to tie all the different blue colored elements together. I like this combination of SW&D meets MC. It's fun. BTW, cover up the felt flower and see how much better the whole look becomes.

[​IMG]

3. DrFaustus

DrFaustus Senior member

4. quuz

quuz Senior member

Ill just leave this here, one of my favorite pocket squares´and imo the best looking rubinacci made, so glad my ex got me one for my graduation two years ago (pic stolen from mafoofan) [​IMG]

5. GusW

I rarely like a shirt and pocket square to match (except when both are white). One of the white linen squares with the light blue border would look so much better. But my first choice would be plain white linen. It would add contrast without distracting you from the attractive pattern in the jacket.

[​IMG]

6. GusW

A photo of a dressing gown (robe for the rest of us) at Charvet Paris. Note the pocket square....

[​IMG]

7. GusW

Pocket square in a overcoat pocket. Not for me thanks.

[​IMG]

8. GusW

Plaid jacket with a square and glasses sharing the pocket.

[​IMG]

9. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Pocket square in a overcoat pocket. Not for me thanks.
    I always pack a square in an overcoat. If anything, I think an overcoat needs a square the most because there's a larger expanse of cloth, which can be broken up with a square.
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, looks like he's got a hole in his jacket.

10. GusW

I always pack a square in an overcoat. If anything, I think an overcoat needs a square the most because there's a larger expanse of cloth, which can be broken up with a square.

Kent, I'm glad you brought this up. Its not for me but I'm all for personal style. It certainly isn't bad. And, I think it can look pretty good when done well.

Here is an example of a guy who does it right, coordinating with his brown hat and camel scarf.

[​IMG]

11. GusW

12. GusW

13. GusW

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Not a fan of angry emo boy up there, but the other guys below look good. Particularly the guy right on top here ^. But both the top guy and the middle guy on this page have cotton (or linen) squares in cotton jackets. I personally would not do that, but Id love to hear someone with more info as to why.

15. GusW

Chambray selvedge pocket square. More SW&D than MC.

[​IMG]

16. GusW

Steve McQueen in the Thomas Crown Affair 1970.

[​IMG]

17. GusW

Black Tie..... WWCGD?

[​IMG]

18. GusW

Club collar and TV fold

[​IMG]

19. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

[​IMG]

I've never met him. Don't know his name.

But [​IMG]

This is what the poorly dressed masses are afraid they'll become if they try to give a shit. He ruins it for all of us.

20. GusW

. He ruins it for all of us.

Thanks for your comments but I have a different perspective. Nobody ruins it for all of us when it comes to clothing. You are pretty much free to wear what ever you want. But, it takes time and some practice to figure out what works and what looks good on you as well as developing your own personal style. I think there are many different ways to look good and express yourself. Personally, I would be bored with one uniform look although I like a wardrobe built on classic elements.

I've already posted a lot of classic approaches to wearing a pocket square. I want to mix it up a little bit for discussion purposes. You may dislike some and you might like others. As you go through them decide what works and what doesn't and most important why. This way you build your own vocabulary of personal style. You can decide which styles and colors will work best for you and the best way to fold and wear them.

By the way, I chose a favorite tie, shirt and jacket today before I meet with Chan this afternoon. None of my pocket squares worked with the combination, so I am going without one today. Sa la vie!