Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Mar 1, 2011.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why not look through this thread and see what works for you. Picking up a small amount of color from your shirt and tie in a patterned pocket square can look very smart and coordinated. But, a solid match of the tie or shirt rarely works unless it is a white shirt and white linen pocket square. I have seen some guys recently wearing blue shirts, no tie and a blue pocket square and that can actually look pretty good. But the shirt needs to be a different material than the square and the square needs some other detail in the weave to pull it off.

2. GusW

Pink and blue are excellent examples of complimentary colors. I love mixing pinks and blues and do it all the time, especially in spring and summer.

3. DM66

DM66 Senior member

I am getting married and forgoing the traditional tuxedo in favor of a gray suit. Do I need to wear the traditional flower on my lapel or can I wear a pocket square instead or both???? Forgive what may or is a neophyte question......its my 1st post.

Thanks in advance!

4. Dinosarti

Dinosarti Senior member

Congrat's on finally getting in the game! I think you could pull off both with a crisp white linen TV fold and nice flower on your lapel. Too much of either would mean a little competition for the eye, but its up to you. Just my two cents.....

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

This means you need a working buttonhole on your lapel. If you do not have this on your suit, you can send it to a tailor to have one put there. If not, I would strongly suggest just forgoing the flower instead of the modern custom of pinning the flower to the lapel, which to me looks horrible and tacky.

6. GusW

With a grey suit, I would suggest a white linen pocket square with a white shirt. You just don't want the flower color to clash with the tie. You also don't want the flower to be so large or for the pocket square to puff out of the pocket so much that it looks lopsided.

Prince Charles often wears a grey suit, pocket square and flower in his lapel. Google images of him and it will give you ideas for the scale of the flower, the best way to fold a pocket square and some ties.

Often florists make the boutonnieres way too big! Try to keep them smaller and simple for all of the guys. It will look much better in the photos.

Good luck and have a great wedding!

7. GusW

I don't agree with this. A single flower works fine in a working lapel buttonhole but rarely will a wrapped boutonniere fit without distorting the shape and drape of the lapel. If pinned properly it will look fine. But again I would caution you to specificly request smaller scale flowers and boutonnieres for you and your groomsmen. For some silly reason florists want them to be small bouquets and that are way too much. Just look at wedding photos where guys lapels are drooping because of the guy was wearing a huge flower or several small flowers and greenery.

Let the bride carry the bouquet :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

8. GusW

9. GusW

10. GusW

11. GusW

12. GusW

13. DM66

DM66 Senior member

Thank you so much for the quick and helpful responses. Really great. Here are a few pics of the suit, tie and (my big splurge)Santoni shoes I'll be wearing. The pics are pretty terrible when it comes to the colors..........the tie by Zegna actually pops much more then it shows. The color really is squashed. I need to incorporate the blue because the bridesmaids will be wearing that color. I'd also like to incorporate yellow into my outfit in honor of my Mom, but it looks like it either has to be in the flower or in the pocket square......not sure which is possible or appropriate. I'm also gonna start a new post asking for help on a belt to wear.

Thanks again!

[​IMG]

14. DM66

DM66 Senior member

15. DM66

DM66 Senior member

Thanks for the pics, great looks.