• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket square with Jeans + Shirt + Blazer?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I'm going to a fancy luncheon at a downtown hotel tomorrow to celebrate a friends' birthday and graduation, was planning on wearing clean dark jeans + crisp white dress shirt + navy blazer (or a chocolate brown one) + brown shoes. Dress code is described as "daytime chic/semi-formal" whatever that means. However, I have been brainwashed from watching Mad Men, and am tempted to get a simple white pocket square to have folded into the jacket with this outfit. According to SF, is this more of a "brown shoes with everything" move, or a "wearing a black suit" move? Edit: Here's how it turned out (yes I know I don't have cuff showing; was slouching a bit in this pic and I haven't gotten suit sleeves shortened) I started with a white shirt, but there was too much similarity with the white shirt + white PS, so went with white/blue stripey. And went with the brown blazer to avoid navy-blue on indigo-blue.
psquare.jpg

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is truly "semi-formal" I wouldn't wear jeans (I also am not crazy about navy blazers with similarly-toned jeans), but if you're going to, I see nothing wrong with throwing a simple white TV fold in there. Others might think you pretentious (and they might be right) but I think that's a pretty standard move in the SF catalog.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
If it is truly "semi-formal" I wouldn't wear jeans, but if you're going to, I see nothing wrong with throwing a simple white TV fold in there. Others might think you pretentious (and they might be right) but I think that's a pretty standard move in the SF catalog.

It's definitely not truly semi-formal for sure...

I think the TV fold is a bit much, was imagining more of just a flat fold; a thin sliver of white making it a bit more interesting, but not too douchey/pretentious.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
It's definitely not truly semi-formal for sure...

I think the TV fold is a bit much, was imagining more of just a flat fold; a thin sliver of white making it a bit more interesting, but not too douchey/pretentious.

I thought a TV-fold was a flat fold...I shall go deduct some iGent points.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I thought a TV-fold was a flat fold...I shall go deduct some iGent points.

Naw you are probably right, I am a pocket-square n00b and assumed you meant the TV fold as the one pictured
blush.gif

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BostonRussell
What material is the pocket square?

No idea, haven't gotten one yet. Probably just cotton.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
No idea, haven't gotten one yet. Probably just cotton.

Definately get one in cotton or linen. Why not add a little character?

If anyone gives you **** about it just call it a handkerchief (in fact, go ahead and do that all the time) and ask them what they would do if they saw a lady weeping? Hand her a paper towel?
fight[1].gif

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a pocket square with jeans and a sportscoat probably 90% of the time.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

Once they say daytime chic, I don't think you have to worry about taking seriously the semi formal.

I'm sitting at my desk with a Hugo Boss dark brown corduroy jacket, a Brioni shirt, a creme pocket square (rectangular fold, nothing fancy), dark blue PDC jeans, and brown double monk strap shoes. In fact, gotta go teach a class. You look good, wear it.

Originally Posted by Flambeur
I wear a pocket square with jeans and a sportscoat probably 90% of the time.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when I say "fancy", I mean fancy for your typical college student, not "fancy" for the typical SF-er. Should've made that distinction
lol8[1].gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, when I say "fancy", I mean fancy for your typical college student, not "fancy" for the typical SF-er. Should've made that distinction
lol8[1].gif

Distinction is everything. Look at your sig. Still don't like the jeans/sportscoat look, assuming we are talking a "classic" sportscoat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads