• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Square Resurgence?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We were finishing our meal at the local trattoria on Firday night when I noticed the crowd at the bar swelling w/ new arrivals every couple of minutes. All were men in their mid-20s who were obviously acquainted, as they greeted each other w/ high fives, bear hugs and back slaps. Once everyone was assembled they made their way upstairs enmass for what I presumed was a bachelors' dinner.

Everyone was in dressed nicely, moslty suits w/ a smattering of coat & ties. Aside from a few bowties, what struck me was the number of fellows sporting pocket squares - no fewer than a half dozen were in evidence.

It's rare enough to see men with PS's (and this is NYC), and then they are invariably over 30. This sighting made me wonder: are pocket squares becoming 'fashionable' again?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes actually and I hear that the Versace one's that I am selling are all the rage among smart dressers
sly.gif

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Russell Smith writes a mens' clothing column for The Globe and Mail ("Toronto's National Newspaper") and recently published Men's Style: he is therefore probably one of the most influential Canadians on sartorial matters. For the last few years he has been pushing the idea that the decline of ties (as he calls it, at least) should be offset by an increase in pocket squares. Out here on the West Coast nobody much is even wearing jackets with pockets to put the squares in, but I wouldn't be the least surprised to see them proliferating in Toronto.

Camiceria

Reaction score
I'm 23 and I always wear one; both casual and formal. Not because it's trendy or highly fashionable; just because I like it.

It's the sort of thing you try once and then ask yourself why you didn't do it before...

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're definitely becoming fashionable again (I suspect largely b/c a lot of rappers seem to like them).

It actually irks me a little, because I was wearing them before the trend and now it just seems like I'm being a sheep.
smile.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
they greeted each other w/ high fives, bear hugs and back slaps.
No chest bumps?

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
We were finishing our meal at the local trattoria on Firday night when I noticed the crowd at the bar swelling w/ new arrivals every couple of minutes. All were men in their mid-20s who were obviously acquainted, as they greeted each other w/ high fives, bear hugs and back slaps. Once everyone was assembled they made their way upstairs enmass for what I presumed was a bachelors' dinner.

Everyone was in dressed nicely, moslty suits w/ a smattering of coat & ties. Aside from a few bowties, what struck me was the number of fellows sporting pocket squares - no fewer than a half dozen were in evidence.

It's rare enough to see men with PS's (and this is NYC), and then they are invariably over 30. This sighting made me wonder: are pocket squares becoming 'fashionable' again?

Bowties are back, BABY ! ! ! !

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Trendy doesn't always mean bad however. I wouldn't lose interest in the three roll two jacket if it became trendy. What started my admiration for pocket squares was Connery sporting them as James Bond... never more than 1/3" showing, and this was definitely the case where less is more.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just came back into my office in midtown Manhattan, and on the way back I noticed that almost every other man dressed in a sportscoat or a suit was sporting a pocket square. I think this is a "trend" we can all be in favor of.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started wearing a pocket square regularly within the past year and it always gets a comment, or at least a stare, even if it's plain white linen. I guess the prevalence of pocket squares depends on your social circle.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the trend started several years ago, and is actual dying this year. At least that`s what I see in the displays, websites, etc.

Not that it matters. I will be wearing my square anyway.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing squares, pochettes, and hankies for nearly thirty years, and could care less that others have only recently begun to flock. It is the "period" to every day's fashion statement.

To those who were displaying this touch before the "trend," rock on. To those new to the fold, what's taken so long?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I recently seen some of the talking heads on ESPN wearing them. This is how I know they are becoming trendy.

For them, it's a good choice. The environment allows sartorial flourishes, and a pocket square can divert attention from a large torso.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prior to his appointment as the anchor for NBC Nightly News, Brian Williams always wore a white linen pocket square. Back in the days when he did the broadcast on cable's MSNBC, he was the most dapper man on TV. I have a hunch that the image makers of the network nixed the pocket square when he was annointed as the successor to Tom Brokaw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads