• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket square recommendations

apShepard

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to get into pocket squares so I'm interested if there is any oficial guide or something like that. For example, I just bought this coat from S&M
SpierAndMackay21SS_6684F-300-13_27824-Edit.jpg

And I wear it with blue or olive striped shirts(no ties). What would work with it? Personally, I like the "shoestring" pocket squares, the white ones with collored edges. I feel like the silk variety with intricate dessigns are too showy.

Also, do you have to change them from day to day? If I go in vacation for a week can I just bring one and wear only that one?

Thanks,

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're not wearing a tie, then choosing a pocket square is very easy, as there's little you have to do to coordinate. It just comes down to you complementing the mood, seasonality, and color of the coat.

For that coat, I would do a cheery cotton square. This is a pile of cotton squares from Drake's.

tumblr_inline_nmo2lf9c1Y1qfex1b_540.jpeg

If you feel that makes the outfit look too matte, a silk pocket square can also be really nice. I often wear Rubinacci's Victory square. Sometimes a hint of sheen can be nice against a matte coat. With a wool-silk-linen coat or a mohair-blend coat, I would do a silk-wool square for something more matte. But for a very matte coat, such as flannel, a hint of sheen can be nice.

5ef9f99d6e87f341575421.jpeg

Not a fan of those white pocket squares with the shoestring border. If you're going to wear a white square, I think the look should be very clean. A contrasting border disrupts that line.

apShepard

Reaction score
Thanks @dieworkwear, What abouth wearing the same pocket square consecutive days?

Another question, are black pocket squares a thing like black ties? Or is it a big no no.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks @dieworkwear, What abouth wearing the same pocket square consecutive days?

Another question, are black pocket squares a thing like black ties? Or is it a big no no.

Nothing wrong with wearing the same pocket square on consecutive days.

Outside of white pocket squares in cotton or linen, I don't recommend wearing solid-colored squares. A black pocket square will look cheap and of low taste.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree on most counts. The only non-white solid square that I would ever wear is..... cream. Never never black.

Also second the Rubinacci Victory, love that square.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black pocket squares do have a place—at a funeral. Especially if you’re like most men outside of a Quentin Tarantino film who don’t own a black suit. You’ll be wearing a navy business suit to a funeral with a white shirt and black tie. Add a black silk pocket square to finish the look. Keep a white hanky in your pocket for the ladies’ tears.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Black pocket squares do have a place—at a funeral. Especially if you’re like most men outside of a Quentin Tarantino film who don’t own a black suit. You’ll be wearing a navy business suit to a funeral with a white shirt and black tie. Add a black silk pocket square to finish the look. Keep a white hanky in your pocket for the ladies’ tears.

Black pocket square sounds like something a DJ or a magician would wear on a cruise ship.

Do you have photos of black pocket squares being worn well?

apShepard

Reaction score
I only asked because I saw it in a bottom right photo that links to the styleforum instagram.

look:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I only asked because I saw it in a bottom right photo that links to the styleforum instagram.

look:

Outfit would look much better with a neatly folded white pocket square

tumblr_3761963700cc633d286ae01814e8c6d7_e7ae0de0_540.jpg

Grey suit + black tie + white shirt conveys business. A white folded pocket square completes the look and says the same (e.g. "This is a serious suit"). Black pocket square doesn't convey this. With a black tie, it also risks looking like one of those bad matching sets where the tie and square are made from the same fabric.

apShepard

Reaction score
Yea, I never saw it anywhere else, but I tought if it's on the official instagram maybe it is something people here wear. Anyway, I watched this video of Mark showing charcoal trousers+beige sport coat and a black tie but no PS and it's the most beautiful and harmonious combination I've ever seen.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yea, I never saw it anywhere else, but I tought if it's on the official instagram maybe it is something people here wear. Anyway, I watched this video of Mark showing charcoal trousers+beige sport coat and a black tie but no PS and it's the most beautiful and harmonious combination I've ever seen.

I'm a fan of black knit ties. We had a convo about those recently here

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Victory square because my StyFo registration date is early enough. I like it, but I tend to wear it with navy hopsack sport coats, and not my more casual stuff. The OP's coat is a light colored coat I think of as more day-wear, and I would tend to go colorful cotton.

For solids, I generally agree with white+cream good, else=danger doctrine, but I do have a nice light blue linen square from Simonnot Goddard that I sometimes break out with summer suits + white shirts + black knit ties - if I am looking for a bit of color, but not necessary whimsy. But in general, I do think such a square isn't anything close to essential

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black pocket square sounds like something a DJ or a magician would wear on a cruise ship.

Do you have photos of black pocket squares being worn well?
Men used to wear a black silk armband for six months after their wife died. I’m personally happy that sartorial tradition has been laid to rest, so to speak. But I have worn a black pocket square to funerals, with my darkest navy suit. There’s not much to see in a picture, the contrast is subtle. Which is sort of the point. Rest assured that otherwise it never leaves the drawer. Unless I need to make some coins disappear at a child’s birthday party.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads