1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pocket square quality

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stugotes, Mar 20, 2012.

1. RSS

RSS Senior member

Per Hober, all the files/designs were transferred.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Wow, thanks everybody for sharing their thoughts! Didn't expect such a big turnout.

I guess I'll pass on these retail price PS' then.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I only wear white linen. I have Kent Wang ones for $20 and Simonnot-Godard ones for $65. I basically look for rolled edges and how much material there is. The Wang's are much smaller, tee hee and suit certain jackets better. The SG ones are a much finer softer linen have a slight pattern and are much larger giving you more folds and heft in the pocket.

4. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Yeah, for normal work wear (grey suit etc) I only wear white PS', but for summerly SCs I like a crazy design from time to time, hence my interest in Tom Ford squares.

On another note, does anyone know if there are TF-fakes being sold on Ebay? Some offers there seem to good to be true ($55 for PS, $150 for silk scarves).

5. antikantian

antikantian Senior member

Like some other folks here, Hermes is probably the only time I'll spend more than $100. I don't really notice that much difference in quality between my Charvet's, RLPL's, Brioni's, etc vs. my cheap squares, to be honest. The edges are maybe a little nicer with the higher-end stuff, but 95% of the thing is buried in a pocket.

The ONLY advantage (or disadvantage, depending on how you construe it) I have found is that if my pocket square cost more than a certain amount, I'm never going to use it as a makeshift handkerchief/tissue in times of dire nasal congestion. Yes, this has happened on more than one occasion, and no, they are no longer in use as pocket squares :eh:

6. RSS

RSS Senior member

When it comes to buying on eBay, much depends upon the reliability of the seller. There are certainly many cases of fakes being sold on eBay ... particlarly with known designers that have a significant market share. To date I've had no issues, but I stick with reliable -- mostly 'small-time' -- sellers and rarely buy 'designer' merchandise.

I have no idea of the retail price of Tom Ford pocket squares, but $55 doesn't strike me as too little for something sold at clearance. I just took a look at what's available on eBay, and I can't imagine many people are willing to pay over $100 for those particular squares. Then again, there are those who buy name alone.

7. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

ill pay UP TO $50. but it would have to be a fantastic pattern that i couldnt find anywhere else.

8. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

does it really matter though ?

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Nope, but a glut in the market forced the prices way down to nothing. Its a buyers market.

10. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

As the Macclesfield printers went out of business the designs either were sold or in many cases given away to two local museums.

So currently most of the old designs are available - some actually in the David Evans/Adamley files, some in museums and some in other corporate collections such as Silk Industries which owns Vanners the weavers and used to own David Evans and Adamley.

David Evans/Adamley is now independently owned and operated by its management.

Some printers in Italy (and perhaps other countries) are licensing the old designs from the museums. This is not making the few remaining Macclesfield printers happy...

In regards to the opening post of this thread i would divide pocket square quality into:

Fabric, construction, printing/weaving and design.

Hermes is a master at design and printing with good construction and fabric.

Simonnot-Godard has wonderful fabrics and good construction

Most other top makers have beautiful designs, very nice fabrics and good construction.

Our Sam Hober pocket squares have good designs as well as beautiful fabrics like Simonnot-Godard's; but our construction is our claim to fame as our experts spend 2+ hours per pocket square. The big names typically sew the edges of their squares very quickly for a rustic look - with a few exceptions.

So in the end value is determined by a combination of fabric, design, construction and printing/weaving.

If I thought there was enough demand I would print the old classics again and make pocket squares and then keep them in stock forever.

11. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

David, if you came up with something like the Drakes unicorn PS,I'll be your first customer :slayer:

12. RSS

RSS Senior member

While I can't imagine that I need another pocket square, I'd take one in each color.

13. blukoi

blukoi Member

Hermes ties are my favorite. The quality is amazing.

14. Sam Hober

RSS,

At a certain point it becomes something like collecting postage stamps...

Were you thinking of the Unicorn design?

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Id be intrigued as well in some awesome patterns.

16. RSS

RSS Senior member

Indeed I was ... and still am.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  17. mrbrioni

mrbrioni Senior member

Like some others on this thread, the only time I've ever crossed the $100 mark is for an Hermes hanky.

The silk, and patterns on them are beautiful and like art to me, making me a sucker for them.

Not sure who posted something about them being about 120, the ones that are "mini scarves" are $175 a piece now:embar:

In regards to linen I believe from personal experience that Simonnot-Godard are head and shoulders above the rest.

Although for some it's a drawback, they give much more material adding heft to your pocket.

18. Sam Hober

Unicorns are fascinating and i like them also but the Moghul prints are even more interesting to me as I lived in Hyderabad in India for two years as a boy.

My mothers house in Arizona is filled with hand painted Moghul paintings.

One thing that has held me back from tapestry/painting type pocket squares is sizing. We are a bespoke maker and I like the option of providing different sizes for our clients.

I suppose that in the interest of art (and collecting) we could do a set size of say 15 or 16 inches.

Maybe we could do a solid border that would allow some flexibility in sizing?

All thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome.

If this works out smoothly we would likely do a series of art pocket squares.

19. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Surely no-one could be so anal as to require a certain particular non-standard size of a piece of fabric that they just stuff into their pocket anyway..?...

...oh wait, this is Styleforum :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  20. Sam Hober

Tobiasj,

I know that you are joking but some jacket pockets are bigger or smaller than others, and some gentlemen like the understated look of a pocket square just barely showing, while others like a waterfall effect; and then most of course like something in the middle.

Then there is the weight of the fabric to be considered as in the heavier fabrics should be a smaller square than a lighter fabric to fit roughly the same in a pocket.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned the beauty of SG fabrics and how they sometimes are too big - this is a perfect example of how a simple size adjustment would have improved the pocket square.