• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PatriotsFan

Reaction score
Do most suit jackets have their chest pockets sewn shut? Is it possible to have them unsewn so I can fit a pocket square inside?
confused.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PatriotsFan
Do most suit jackets have their chest pockets sewn shut? Is it possible to have them unsewn so I can fit a pocket square inside?
confused.gif

New suits usually come with the pockets sewn shut, normally there is a thread easily removable to open them before wear it.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
It's a standard procedure to remove the stitching. Use a seam ripper if you have one. Otherwise you can ease out the thread with small scissors or a pocket knife. It's supposed to be removed, so don't worry about it, just be careful. It's likely your side pockets are sewn shut, too.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bump:

just got a new suit and the chest pocket is sewn shut. is this something i should try and fix myself or should i bring it to my dry cleaner to get the suit pressed and to get this procedure done? or would a tailor be necessary?

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
You can fix it your self. Just take a sharp knife and cut a few of the threads. Then very gently open the pocket. You will prob have to cut some more threads as you open the pocket. Its very easy to do.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure you don't forget to take off the sleeve tag as well
wink.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
bump: just got a new suit and the chest pocket is sewn shut. is this something i should try and fix myself or should i bring it to my dry cleaner to get the suit pressed and to get this procedure done? or would a tailor be necessary?
It's easy to do yourself.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
wink.gif

oh you mean the little branding tag on the sleeve some suits have? yeah i see that all the time, its awful looking but i guess it can be removed huh? my suit is H&M it doesnt have that.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
wink.gif

You would think that it would be common sense to remove the sleeve tag but I've been on the subway and have seen guys that have left them on. It's really sad to see how clueless guys are about this stuff.

The breast pocket stitch is easily removed. I use a sharp knife and cut a few of the threads. After that I ease the pocket open while removing all of the thread.

Good luck.

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
You would think that it would be common sense to remove the sleeve tag but I've been on the subway and have seen guys that have left them on. It's really sad to see how clueless guys are about this stuff.

The breast pocket stitch is easily removed. I use a sharp knife and cut a few of the threads. After that I ease the pocket open while removing all of the thread.

Good luck.

Thats the way i have done it
smile.gif
Personally i like when they ask if i want it open. I have even ha tailors not open it after having a suit modified for the first time. I kinda shook my head

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't open the side pockets, however. This will remove the temptation to use them.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason behind sewing pockets shut is so that customers will not stick their hands in the pocket while trying on the item.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I consciously have to hold myself back when I see otherwise decently dressed people with the sleeve tag still on their jacket or overcoat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads