Pocket Square Problem - suit chest pocket sewn shut!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PatriotsFan, Aug 18, 2007.

1. PatriotsFan

PatriotsFan Senior member

Do most suit jackets have their chest pockets sewn shut? Is it possible to have them unsewn so I can fit a pocket square inside? [​IMG]

2. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Do most suit jackets have their chest pockets sewn shut? Is it possible to have them unsewn so I can fit a pocket square inside? [​IMG]

New suits usually come with the pockets sewn shut, normally there is a thread easily removable to open them before wear it.

3. PatriotsFan

PatriotsFan Senior member

New suits usually come with the pockets sewn shut, normally there is a thread easily removable to open them before wear it.

Would unsewing the pockets have any effects on the drape of the suit (I wouldn't want it to look lumpy in that area if I do it wrong)?

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

It's a standard procedure to remove the stitching. Use a seam ripper if you have one. Otherwise you can ease out the thread with small scissors or a pocket knife. It's supposed to be removed, so don't worry about it, just be careful. It's likely your side pockets are sewn shut, too.

5. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

bump:

just got a new suit and the chest pocket is sewn shut. is this something i should try and fix myself or should i bring it to my dry cleaner to get the suit pressed and to get this procedure done? or would a tailor be necessary?

6. Rayford Booth

Rayford Booth Well-Known Member

You can fix it your self. Just take a sharp knife and cut a few of the threads. Then very gently open the pocket. You will prob have to cut some more threads as you open the pocket. Its very easy to do.

7. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Make sure you don't forget to take off the sleeve tag as well [​IMG]

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

bump: just got a new suit and the chest pocket is sewn shut. is this something i should try and fix myself or should i bring it to my dry cleaner to get the suit pressed and to get this procedure done? or would a tailor be necessary?
    It's easy to do yourself.

9. Rayford Booth

You side pockets are prob closed as well

10. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

oh you mean the little branding tag on the sleeve some suits have? yeah i see that all the time, its awful looking but i guess it can be removed huh? my suit is H&M it doesnt have that.

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

You would think that it would be common sense to remove the sleeve tag but I've been on the subway and have seen guys that have left them on. It's really sad to see how clueless guys are about this stuff.

The breast pocket stitch is easily removed. I use a sharp knife and cut a few of the threads. After that I ease the pocket open while removing all of the thread.

Good luck.

12. Rayford Booth

You would think that it would be common sense to remove the sleeve tag but I've been on the subway and have seen guys that have left them on. It's really sad to see how clueless guys are about this stuff.

The breast pocket stitch is easily removed. I use a sharp knife and cut a few of the threads. After that I ease the pocket open while removing all of the thread.

Good luck.

Thats the way i have done it [​IMG] Personally i like when they ask if i want it open. I have even ha tailors not open it after having a suit modified for the first time. I kinda shook my head

13. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Don't open the side pockets, however. This will remove the temptation to use them.

14. Gravitas

Gravitas Senior member

The reason behind sewing pockets shut is so that customers will not stick their hands in the pocket while trying on the item.

15. Zenny

Zenny Senior member

I consciously have to hold myself back when I see otherwise decently dressed people with the sleeve tag still on their jacket or overcoat.