• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket square help

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a white, linen, Zegna Napoli Couture pocket square (my first.) and have a couple of questions:

1) Why doesn't it look right on me?.??. I've tried multiple folds, but end up looking more like P.Diddy than C.Gable. Also tends to buldge. I'm 25, tall athletic build. What do you suggest? Tips on shaping it?

2) Should I cut the tag off that sucker? LA Guy once made a comment that made me laugh out loud about cutting the tags off all your clothes *gasp*. Every time a get close to the square with scissors, my hands start shaking. On the other hand, the tag is in a really bad place - near one of the edges making many traditional folds impractical because it would show. What would you do?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Here are more folds than you'll ever use. I'd say a large part of it is practice at getting the look right and also getting used to seeing it on yourself. As for the tag, if it's getting in the way of you using it properly, then, yes, take it off. However, it may be difficult to remove without harming the hem to it. Don't risk harming the (I'm sure, expensive.) pocket square. With silk I prefer a puffier "fold" as opposed to a sharper, pointier fold, which I find better for cotton/linen.

rayk

Reaction score
I recently purchased a white, linen, Zegna Napoli Couture pocket square (my first.) and have a couple of questions: 1) Why doesn't it look right on me?.??. Â I've tried multiple folds, but end up looking more like P.Diddy than C.Gable. Â Also tends to buldge. Â I'm 25, tall athletic build. Â What do you suggest? Â Tips on shaping it?
A correctly displayed crisp linen pocket square, whether folded in an ulta-conservative TV fold or a more dandyish multi-point fashion, is always proper. Â You didn't mention the dimensions of your Zegna pocket square, but if it is of standard size and is well pressed and properly folded, I can't imagine why it would bulge excessively. Â Perhaps that you don't see a linen square as flattering on you has to do with it being too conservative for your self-image. Â A patterned and/or colored silk pocket square has an undeniable insouciance which is quite attractive. Â You might rather stick to silk, unless the occasion calls for something more formal.
2) Should I cut the tag off that sucker? Â LA Guy once made a comment that made me laugh out loud about cutting the tags off all your clothes *gasp*. Â Every time a get close to the square with scissors, my hands start shaking. Â On the other hand, the tag is in a really bad place - near one of the edges making many traditional folds impractical because it would show. Â What would you do?
If you are unable to fold your pocket square for wear without display of the tag, I would say that removal is imperative; however, you should be able to fold your square in a manner that conceals the tag. Â Removal should be a last resort if damage to the material possible. Â Try one of these folds; perhaps among them you can find one more personally appealing.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Sooner or later, I remove all the tags from mine...And very carefully, with a very small pair of scissors. If a big, clumsy guy like me can do it, I bet you can too...

DandySF

Reaction score
Make certain that you've removed all of the thread that is used to close the jacket pocket. Look inside for anything that is keeping the pocket from being fully accessible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics