• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Square for Navy Oxxford Suit

stylishgolfer

Reaction score
Hi Everyone: I just purchased a new Navy Blue suit with faint orange pinstripes from Oxxford Clothes. I will wear it with a Orange and Blue striped tie I bought from Barney's. Any suggestions on what color pocket square and what pocket square fold to wear with the suit? Thanks for your help.

stylishgolfer

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, SpooPoker. You're right, you can't go wrong with white linen, TV Fold. What about silk?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition to the white linen why not try a white with navy polka dots or blue with navy dots (small ones in silk).

I disagree with SpooPoker. I think a busy paisley that has bits of navy and orange plus several other colors could work very well but you really have to lay them out all together to be sure the colors are right. If it only has navy and orange it won't look very good. It needs complexity to work. If you find it, it could be amazing.

stylishgolfer

Reaction score
Thanks for your detailed response, pocketsquareguy. Do you know where I could find such a pocket square? Brooks Brothers? Saks? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
In addition to the white linen why not try a white with navy polka dots or blue with navy dots (small ones in silk).

I disagree with SpooPoker. I think a busy paisley that has bits of navy and orange plus several other colors could work very well but you really have to lay them out all together to be sure the colors are right. If it only has navy and orange it won't look very good. It needs complexity to work. If you find it, it could be amazing.

If it has bits, tiny bits, sure - but blue/orange striped suit, blue/orange striped shirt... I dunno. Its just me, but I would stick to a neutral, not matchy square if I had 2 identically colored pieces on like that.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylishgolfer
Thanks for your detailed response, pocketsquareguy. Do you know where I could find such a pocket square? Brooks Brothers? Saks? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

This is the sort of thing that you find as you travel about. It is hard to do it on line because you really need to see it to be sure the color is right. Plus they so often look very different stuffed into the pocket. I like Paul Stuart in NYC for squares but sometimes you just never know where you will find the perfect one that really brings out the colors in your suit/jacket perfectly.

stylishgolfer

Reaction score
That makes sense, pocketsquareguy. I will look for one. For now, I will probably stick to something neutral. Thanks for everyone's help.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
White TV fold, linen. Cant lose with nearly anything. Do NOT do blue or orange.

Unless he is a UF booster attending a fundraiser.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics would help, but I would re-think the tie choice (and I am more matchy-matchy than most on here).

MCH-est.1818

Reaction score
I would second the recommendation of a white linen pocket square--mainly if the suit is being worn at work. Silk pocket squares with a suit come off as a little too flamboyant (IMHO) and are best left to odd jackets and tuxedos.

Now you could go with a white linen ps that has colored edges/border to bring a little color into it.

TV Fold is fine but I prefer to actually stuff the handkerchief into the pocket (similar to a puff but with the points coming out a little bit). The TV fold can be a bit rigid whereas the irregularity with stuffing it in a "haphazzard" way achieves a certain sprezzatura. It may take a little more time arranging it than doing a TV fold but I believe it's worth it.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Puff with linen?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics