• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Square folds for the right occasion?

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Recently got into pocket squares. I must say, I can now see how it offers that "touch" to the jacket. ( as my father says, it's like women and earings, they don't look the same without them)

I've purchased a few squares, mostly silk and one linen. I have been looking around however for some type of guideline as to what type of fold to use for certain occasions.

I'm more a fan of flat folds and would use points for more formal occasions. Is there something unusual about only using flat folds, even with a soft silk ps, sport coat, and jeans?

I saw a youtube video which some woman on dabbler stated that due to the unstructured look of the puff, it's the best choice for casual wear.

jmix1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
I'm more a fan of flat folds and would use points for more formal occasions.
I saw a youtube video which some woman on dabbler stated that due to the unstructured look of the puff, it's the best choice for casual wear.

IMO flat folds are the way to go with formalwear. I like all types of folds with odd jackets and more casual suits, including the puff, but I wouldn't say the latter is the best choice.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently got into pocket squares. I must say, I can now see how it offers that "touch" to the jacket. ( as my father says, it's like women and earings, they don't look the same without them) I've purchased a few squares, mostly silk and one linen. I have been looking around however for some type of guideline as to what type of fold to use for certain occasions. I'm more a fan of flat folds and would use points for more formal occasions. Is there something unusual about only using flat folds, even with a soft silk ps, sport coat, and jeans? I saw a youtube video which some woman on dabbler stated that due to the unstructured look of the puff, it's the best choice for casual wear.
I never liked the TV fold, if that's what you mean by the "flat fold"? It always seemed like the wearer was trying to be stylish but was afraid of being viewed to be doing it wrong.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the TV fold, its great for when i want to be stylish and not having people assume i'm doing it wrong.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I like the TV fold, its great for when i want to be stylish and not having people assume i'm doing it wrong.

That was quite droll.

- B

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
biggrin.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently got into pocket squares. I must say, I can now see how it offers that "touch" to the jacket. ( as my father says, it's like women and earings, they don't look the same without them)

I've purchased a few squares, mostly silk and one linen. I have been looking around however for some type of guideline as to what type of fold to use for certain occasions.

I'm more a fan of flat folds and would use points for more formal occasions. Is there something unusual about only using flat folds, even with a soft silk ps, sport coat, and jeans?

I am just getting into pocket squares myself...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like silk poofed and linen folded neatly.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I like silk poofed and linen folded neatly.

You missed your chance to cement your own iconography by referring to liking your silk squares foofed.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
You missed your chance to cement your own iconography by referring to liking your silk squares foofed.

Better to let others do it for me. Thank you.

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
The fold I use may not be considered a TV or presidential. I fold the square like you would a TV or prez, making sure the width is enough to fit the pocket, but I fold it in half, making the top round off instead of showing the edges. It stays in the pocket and shows the pattern well.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Who uses an origami fold? This x-wing fighter...

star-wars-xwing-origami.jpg

...could really be trick.

- B

JordanH.

Reaction score
this is how i fold mine. just sorta stuff it in for this appearance (i think it's better than other ones).
1235335442.jpg
bowtie2.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
star-wars-xwing-origami.jpg

Sweet. Now let's see someone do an origami B-Wing.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Sweet. Now let's see someone do an origami B-Wing.

Is the 'gundam' fold OK for an interview?

complex_origami_001.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads