Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pocket Square Advice???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TysenTheCyclone, May 16, 2018 at 8:37 PM.

1. TysenTheCyclone

TysenTheCyclone New Member

Hey, i'm new here, i made an account just to ask this question and hopefully i can have it answered in the next couple days

My prom's coming up fast, and after a recent banquet i fell in love with pocket squares. It's honestly kind of fun creating new ways to fold them and such. Anyways, i've purchased a matching vest and tie to go with my black suit and white undershirt. They're a plain silver/gray with a bit of a sparkle to them, but the shop i bought them from didn't have a matching pocket square. My date is also getting me a boutonniere with a silver ribbon and dark pink carnation. Should i ditch the pocket square all together? Or should i go for a white/other color that matches my getup?

image.jpg

2. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

You can ditch the square if you want, but I think a white pocket square would be really nice. I won’t complain about the tie and vest (even if not what we might consider classic menswear) because you’re going to prom and that’s totally prom appropriate.

3. TysenTheCyclone

TysenTheCyclone New Member

Thanks man. Yeah i kinda cheaped out on the set because it fit, matched my date's dress, and they had it right there. Didn't even realize the tie wasn't real until i brought it home. I appreciate the advice :)

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi

Agree with the white square. It's failsafe and will go with whatever else you're wearing, probably complement your shirt, and go with the formality of the event.

If you can find one, get one in linen. If not, cotton can be OK. Then fold it it in a square fold (sometimes called a TV fold or Presidential fold). You can find a bunch of tutorials on YouTube if you search for those terms. Here's a random one I found (just focus on the first fold, not the second, and don't get a square with contrasting edges. Your outfit will look better with a plain white square).

Have fun at prom!

5. TheForeigner

TheForeigner Senior Member

I’ve also got a PS question: I recently bought this beautiful square, but I don’t seem to be able to match it with anything. What colour sport coat/suit would you wear it with? 5E181995-13A1-4B6E-92F9-D310E6C8E668.jpeg

6. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

A pocket square should never be the same as your tie and indeed your tie should never be made from a piece of cloth left over from making the waistcoat (vest). Both are dreadful faux pas.

7. Moose22

Moose22 Senior Member

Dude, I'd rock that with ANY color of suit (I have blues and greys) and I can think of a handful of ties I'd wear it with. I have a sort of bronze/red tie with little cream yellow accents and I'd fold that with the black/gold/yellow/maroon part showing plus a big puff of blue on my blue suit. Or any of my ties with a similar blue accent to that main swath. That border works with pretty much my whole tie collection in some way or other.

Pocket squares shouldn't match. They should complement, but matching them straight across looks cheesy. Wear one differently every time you put a coat on and eventually you'll start to find a style you like. But it's easy to get started -- just find an accent color on a tie and then decide how to fold it to show something that kind of syncs with the accent color. The rest is flair -- your pocket square is the one flash of color on the outfit. If you are being social and want a little more wild show lots of the blue. More sedate or mild fold it nicely and show the border or just a band of blue.

8. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Distinguished Member

Matching pocket square, matching vest and tie that sparkle, black suit worn with a white undershirt (only?), chosen to match the date's dress. I sense a...

[​IMG]

9. useless_username

useless_username Well-Known Member

You forgot to mention that the username was created just to ask this one question. Dead giveaway in most cases.

This forum is target-rich environment for trolls.

10. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Distinguished Member

indeed

11. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

So true, we have one here.

12. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi

i see the prom experts have logged on