• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pocket placement on jeans....

sal_bass

Reaction score
can someone explain to me why the jeans on pockets are sewn on so low?

i've been buying 501s for years and recently i found that the pockets on 501s were being sewn on lower than before. a quick call to levi's confirmed this.

i asked the rep what the reason for this was.....he he had no answer of substance.

it makes people look like they need to pull their pants up.

Spintherism

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sal_bass
Like a little jeans with your pockets, eh?
EB0502690008DDN-B.jpg

But you mean pockets on jeans, right?
Perhaps to ease the pain of wallet-neuropathy?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think alot of companys do it to make it look like you are sagging, when you are in fact wearing them above your butt.

Nico Samuel Pleninsek

Reaction score
Yes, I hate this trend, because it does look like your pants are sagging; it also makes your bum look flat. I think Stylishpilot is correct

ataru

Reaction score
My KMWs have dropped pockets. I think it's pretty cool actually. I think the illusion that you are sagging when you aren't, or appearing to sag more than you actually are if you are sagging, makes your legs seem longer.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, we don't really want to give our ass shape. If you somewhat have a butt and wear an apc jean, it'll give you a lot more butt. Pockets being lower tend to eliminate that effect

sal_bass

Reaction score
ataru....but wouldn't a _slightly_ more fitted cut and a proper length make legs look longer?

people who wear pants with more than one or two breaks at the end of the pant leg, always look shorter than they actually are, to me at least.

i know jeans are more relaxed than trousers but if the goal is to look like you have longer legs.....why not have the pants accentuate that?

cldpsu....i get that.....no painted on jeans. i'm not really talking about fitted pants.....just pants that don't make me look like i've got a load back there.

ataru

Reaction score
sal_bass

What you're talking about is an argument against actual sagging, not an argument against the illusion of sagging that comes from dropped pockets. Low pockets don't necessitate a less fitted cut or excessive stacking.

KBW

Reaction score
I've got a big ass so sadly low pockets can't make mine look flat. My somets are extremely low rise because ****** is so damn big. They cover my crack just BARELY but my gf loves me to wear them and they are comfortable now that I've worn them about two weeks (only wear them to school about twice a week but I wear them around the house or running errands everyday. I got a pair of nudies at the same time and they have low pockets but they aren't too low looking with my butt and the fact I sized down. Never thought I'd like skinnier jeans as much as I do.

Back to the topic I'm fine with the pockets either way but I probably prefer them not to be low.

snailone

Reaction score
true... i noticed that the pockets on apc rescues is somewhat low compared with the ns/cures.

If it were not for the low back pockets i would own a pair of rescues. IMO the trend is horrible as it makes you look like a little kid. If you want that look then size up 1 or 2 and sag all you want... but a pair of jeans with correctly placed pockets is more flattering.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know jeans are more relaxed than trousers.

Not universallly true, and definitely not on this forum.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i've been buying 501s for years and recently i found that the pockets on 501s were being sewn on lower than before. a quick call to levi's confirmed this.

i asked the rep what the reason for this was.....he he had no answer of substance.

it makes people look like they need to pull their pants up.

The dropped pockets give the jeans a more relaxed look. Younger guys, whether they are hipsters wearing Julian Reds or frat dudes in True Religions, prefer this. Me, I associate higher rise jeans with higher back pocket placement with Kevin Costner. And if anyone asked me what I'd like to look like, stylewise, I'd have to say "The opposite of Kevin Costner."

That being said, there are some companies that have jeans with fairly high back pocket placement - A.P.C. being probably the most popular. Japanese companies specializing is "repro jeans", also make jeans with high backpocket placement. I'm not really a repro guy, and I say my APCs.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could never go back to jeans with high pocket placement. Although I will say the KMW 1980 is a little extreme and makes it feel awkward when your wallet is halfway down your hamstring. The 1950/2010 pockets are not as low.

VINSON

Reaction score
hmm I like having lower pockets.

I put my cardholder in my back pocket and if the pockets are too high, they get bent (rounded) by ******. Lower pockets are more flat since they're lower down ****** so they don't mess up my cards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads