• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pocket knives

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll have to take some pics, overall i built about 20-30 of them and gave a few to relatives and sold a few.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
13651_587451330909_24807352_34552011_4215545_n.jpg

everything is hand finished, ATS-34 Stainless steel blade, SS bolster and Cocobolo wood handle.

I believe i was 14 or 15 when i made this.

word

Reaction score
I used to carry the basic swiss army knife on my keychain since I was a kid. You know the kind with a blade, file and scissors. I remember a teacher in high school confiscating it.
rolleyes.gif
Got a new one after HS.

brown eyes

Reaction score
yea, I carry a basic Swiss Army knife on my keys (blade, file/flat head screw driver, scissors, toothpick, tweezer). It's pretty handy when I need to cut off loose strings or open boxes.

A guy I knew had a pocket knife with a 4'' blade inside his back pocket. He was searched by a police officer after he was detained for fighting in a bar and he got busted with carrying a concealed weapon. In CA, it's legal to carry a knife as long as it's showing.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brown eyes
In CA, it's legal to carry a knife as long as it's showing.
I love California, but ****, how I do hate the state government. If only California had New Hampshire's government...

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
godot- what do you think of the chris reeve sebenzas? ive never handled one myself

Chris Reeve Knife Sebenza is next on my list. Not sure if I want the large or the small Sebenza. I'd like to hold each to see which I like best.

I have a few benchmade and Spyderco knives I carry every day to work and I have a Bob Dozier folding hunter I carry when the mood hits

Godot

Reaction score
I have both and would suggest the small for most locations. You can carry it just about everywhere in the the US.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
Chris Reeve Knife Sebenza is next on my list. Not sure if I want the large or the small Sebenza. I'd like to hold each to see which I like best.

I have a few benchmade and Spyderco knives I carry every day to work and I have a Bob Dozier folding hunter I carry when the mood hits

The small Sebenza is just about right for edc.

I currently carry a BF Canoe in D2 and ivory as my formal knife, and any of several Spyderco's otherwise.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In CA, it's legal to carry a knife as long as it's showing.

Not exactly. The general knife/weapon statute, PC 12020, states that you cannot carry a concealed "dirk or dagger." For purposes of 12020, a non-switchblade folder in its folded state is generally not a dirk or dagger, and can be carried concealed.

With limited exceptions (things like work- or class-related tools), you cannot carry any knife longer than 2.5" at a K-12 school, and you cannot carry any fixed blade longer than 2.5" on a college campus. Doesn't matter if it is openly carried.

Some cities have their own ordinances governing blade length (often, but not universally, prohibiting non-work tools with blades exceeding 3"). If you openly carry a knife that exceeds a local limitation, you are still violating the law.

It's a surprisingly unrestrictive set of laws for CA. Something like a Subcom can go anywhere except for courthouses, airports, etc. If you have a work-related need for something longer than 3", you are often OK under local laws as well, since they typically have a carve-out (pun intended) for knives carried for use in one's employment.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep my pockets as minimal as possible. I've thought about taking an SA knife, keeping the blade and trying to hack keys into the other foldouts to further minimize. I know there is a company that will take your keys and put them into a foldout, but the thing is ugly and not that minimal-looking right now.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yea, I carry a basic Swiss Army knife on my keys (blade, file/flat head screw driver, scissors, toothpick, tweezer). It's pretty handy when I need to cut off loose strings or open boxes. A guy I knew had a pocket knife with a 4'' blade inside his back pocket. He was searched by a police officer after he was detained for fighting in a bar and he got busted with carrying a concealed weapon. In CA, it's legal to carry a knife as long as it's showing.
Actually California State code allows you to carry a folder 'concealed' and there is no limit on blade length. However you have to check your city and county codes as some municipalities have limits on blade length etc and you could have your knife confiscated. I carry either a beatiful handmade R.C. Knipstein oversized lockback, or a Citadel Aizto in a William Henry clipcase. i'll have to take some pics.

Strombollii

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new folder once I get the funds...

At the moment, because I was in a photo class last semester and an exacto was far more convenient and useful than a "real" knife, and am now just used to it, I've been carrying a little Gerber artifact.

2n81qns.jpg

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really wanted a legal EDC better than my 5 year old kershaw onion, so I got this (2.91"). Should be here tomorrow.
555bkhg.jpg

Mauby

Reaction score
I sometimes carry an H&K folder. Couldn't find a pic of the one I have, but it's pretty basic. I also have a small Swiss Army knife in my messenger bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads