Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pocket knife

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by nordicstyle, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

I have carried the smallest KISS (#5520) for several years. A nice small blade that doubles as a money clip. Stays sharp for years and easy to sharpen.

http://www.crkt.com/kiss.html

Twotone

2. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

This is the one I carry around, but in blond horn:

[​IMG]

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

This is the one I carry around, but in blond horn:

[​IMG]

that's cool

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I carry a small Spyderco. I like it.

5. HHD

HHD Senior member

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Thanks, guys. My knife has a 4" blade. The steel is not the hardest in the world, but it sharpens easily - it's the perfect "picnic in the park" knife. I use the bottle opener all the time, actually.

I must also recommend the importance of having something in your pocket with a good "feel" to it when you have your hands in there and and figiting around.

I used to have this knife, but lost it during a move. The loss made me sad.

[​IMG]

7. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    [​IMG]

That's not a knife.

Now this is a knife!

[​IMG]

Seriously, though, nordicstyle, what do you want it for? You didn't say in your OP. If you're looking for something pretty (in a dangerous sort of way) or perhaps something with heirloom potential, then you've gotten some good advice so far. If you're looking for something practical, though, then look no further than a mini Swiss Army knife. Its tiny size and rounded ends won't ruin your slacks as quickly as would a more angular design, and it's got a couple of extra useful tools on it, too. (To be honest, I use the damn toothpick more than either the blade or the scissors.) Better still, if you forget to stow it away before passing through airport security, you won't weep openly at the loss.

8. chillin24601

chillin24601 New Member

9. Silverback

Silverback Senior member

Chris Reeves Small Sebenza with Damascus Blade.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Click on pictures for larger view. ^

Great everyday carry and lots of nice choices. I tend to prefer the wood handles.

10. nordicstyle

nordicstyle Senior member

Seriously, though, nordicstyle, what do you want it for? You didn't say in your OP. If you're looking for something pretty (in a dangerous sort of way) or perhaps something with heirloom potential, then you've gotten some good advice so far. If you're looking for something practical, though, then look no further than a mini Swiss Army knife. Its tiny size and rounded ends won't ruin your slacks as quickly as would a more angular design, and it's got a couple of extra useful tools on it, too. (To be honest, I use the damn toothpick more than either the blade or the scissors.) Better still, if you forget to stow it away before passing through airport security, you won't weep openly at the loss.
    I'm going to use it for cutting things, opening cardboard boxes, removing tags from clothing, cutting tape, etc. Pretty much anything you can think of using a knife for, except screwing screws and stabbing people. I've had a couple of "Swiss army" knives (i.e. fake ones) before, but I think they look rather tacky. Also, I have no need for all the "tools" on them, because whenever I need such a tool it's usually for a job the knife can't handle anyway (ever tried loosening a tight screw with a knife?). I am a minimalist at heart, so I want a simple, sleek knife without extra features or "complications". The U1 that was posted earlier is exactly the kind of knife I'm thinking of (although it costs over $200). I also think the knife in the picture I posted in the first post is really nice, except for the gold/brass.

11. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

I see that they advertise that Spyderco's clip as functioning as a money clip. Normally, the clips are too "tight" to do this--I guess in this case, it is set with less tension.

I'll also throw MCusta into the mix. Very cool knives at decent prices.

12. princemarko

princemarko Senior member

I have decided I want to get a pocket knife. I'm looking for something subtle and stylish, of the kind where the blade folds into the handle. No extra tools or anything, just a simple knife. Any suggestions on what to get? Note that the blade has to be less than 10 cm (I don't want anything bigger anyway. After all, it's supposed to fit in my pocket... [​IMG]) Maybe something like this, only without the gold/brass (silver is an option). Any suggestions? I know some of you carry pocket knives, so feel free to post pictures and information on where you bought it (if possible).
    Are you going to go fight the T-Birds? What the hell would you need a pocket knife for MacGyver? Instead of a pocket knife, try this: [​IMG]

13. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior member

Please go back to discussing douchey sedans you love. A small knife can be a very useful tool, for cutting thread, peeling an apple, stripping a wire, etc.

14. nordicstyle

nordicstyle Senior member

Instead of a pocket knife, try this: [​IMG]
    I'd like to see you open a taped up cardboard box, remove a loose thread from your jacket or cut off the price tag from a new pair of jeans with that thing. If I wanted to shoot stuff I would join a pistol club or move to <insert name of politically correct violent place here>.

15. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Senior member

I very much like the idea of having a pocket knife all the time for utility's sake, but don't like an extra implement in my pocket, so I've been making due with a little multiuse implement that is shaped like a key and fits, as you would expect, on my key ring. It has a small blade and usually serves fine for cutting tape, or light packaging, or tags, though it wouldn't work well for food at a picnic or hard plastic packaging.