Pocket accessories

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

What is the best way to carry keys, cash, credit cards, and business cards when one is wearing dress/suit pants without a jacket?  Putting a standard wallet in the back pocket is a major no-no because it will stretch the fabric, and keys can damage the front pocket, not to mention ruin the smooth line one is after.

2. GQ Lawyer

GQ Lawyer Senior member

I have this same problem. So, here is what I have been doing (when practical).
    I only carry a credit card holder as my wallet. I stash my license, 1 credit card, and a few business cards in it. It fits nicely in the back pocket without stretching anything.
    As for keys, I have been leaving the "unnecessary" keys in my car or office, and only car the actual car key.
    I usually leave most of those items either in my briefcase (which I carry around a lot) or in my office drawer.

3. GatorStyle

GatorStyle Senior member

I have a Ferragamo wallet that I diligently keep from bulging, but its still too bulky to keep in any pants pocket.  If I know I'm wearing a suit jacket, leather coat, overcoat, etc. I use that, but if not (i.e. around the office) I have a money clip and credit card case that I keep in opposite front pockets (try Tiffany sterling silver, very affordable, trim, and classically styled).

As to keys, they're kept in a briefcase or desk drawer, or I often just hold them as I walk to my car.  Keys shouldn't be too bulky anyway, as you probably only need 2-4 keys on a daily basis (and keychains with giant eight-balls, mace canisters, action figures, etc. attached probably aren't the way to go).

Also, when I'm out with my wife, I take advantage of her purse, and just have her hold my keys, wallet, cel phone, etc.