• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

[Poal] First Shell Shoe: Darlton or Whiskey PTB?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well there you have it. Looking for my first experience with 'the horse.' At first I was leaning towards Whiskey PTB... but then I saw Moo's Darltons and changed my mind. But I am struggling. It is definitely not an easy decision. Price differential is not really an issue. Please feel free to weigh in, before I make my decision.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
I voted for the whiskey, but it probably depends on what your shoe wardrobe looks like already. Whiskey is just such a unique color.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Darlton is a very beautiful design, and the color is more versatile than whiskey. However, Aldens are available in widths, so it's easier to get a proper fit.

If the Darlton fits you, that's what I'd go for.

Edit: of course the Official SF response is: both!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can try the Darltons on if I decide to go that direction, so that is not really a problem. As for my shoe wardrobe, it is mainly comprised of various shades of brown (about 10 pairs) and a burgundy. Do not have any bluchers, only oxfords and monks.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Darltons and I have Alden Whiskey longwing, but I'm not such a fan of PTB. Maybe because I have big feet (12.5-13) is seems like too much plain hide out there creasing, I actually got rid of my only pair in #8. I love whiskey shell, and I'd definitely take the Alden longwings over the RL wingtips if I could only keep one, but of your choices, I'd go Darltons.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm probably the ONLY one on the forum who does not love the Darlton.

And yes, I do have a pair, so am speaking from personal experience.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whiskey or the cigar-esque color of the Darlton is kind of a strange either/or. they are very different. Ravello or Darlton would be a better either/or. Leathersoul had these for instance, in store only. amazing imo
rav1.jpg

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Have you tried 'em on? The Darlton didn't fit me at all, much as I like it.

I'd probably go with the Darlton, all else being equal.

Darlton is next on my list. Beautiful shoe.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have both the Darlton and the PTB in whiskey. The Darlton is much more versatile as the whiskey is essentially a spring/summer color.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
whiskey or the cigar-esque color of the Darlton is kind of a strange either/or. they are very different. Ravello or Darlton would be a better either/or.

Leathersoul had these for instance, in store only. amazing imo

rav1.jpg

It is a pretty strange either/or... but let me see if I can explain my reasons quick.

I really just want a shoe to bum around in. I am going to be wearing them casually, so I guess the color does not really matter as much. Versatility is not really much of an issue.

And I saw those ravello short wings... In retrospect, I really wish I had picked a pair up, but I guess you snooze you lose.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the darlton wing or the plaintoe? If the latter, go with whichever fits better. If you mean the wing, the wing definitely looks better and more unique.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
Well there you have it. Looking for my first experience with 'the horse.' At first I was leaning towards Whiskey PTB... but then I saw Moo's Darltons and changed my mind. But I am struggling. It is definitely not an easy decision. Price differential is not really an issue. Please feel free to weigh in, before I make my decision.

VASS

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads