• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plumbing

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on renovating a place that was built in 1948. I'm pretty sure it has all the original plumbing and fixtures still in it. I was planning on gutting the entire thing, plaster and all, and putting in new plumbing, electrical and insulation.

Is it absolutely necessary for a house built in the 40s to have the plumbing redone?

1BNY23

Reaction score
Not at all especially if you have copper. Lead or galvanized pipes would likely need replacing. I have an early 30's home with the original copper plumbing and heating lines. Over the years I have cut in and expanded in several places for additional appliances and in each case the copper was as smooth as the day it was installed. Good luck!

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the piping might be copper, I just worry that there is lead in the solder.

ms244

Reaction score
All modern plumbing solder I've used was lead solder. 50/50 tin & lead.
You can now buy lead free solder but I think its a pretty recent development.

So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I know that lead free solder for electronics (if you see something that says RoHS, it would probably cover this) has a tendency to develop micro cracks and fail over time. So lead free might not be ideal.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to get a lead kit for both the water and paint to see how much I'm being exposed to. Might as well do asbestos while I'm at it.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have fun! That sounds like a cool project.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I'm going to get a lead kit for both the water and paint to see how much I'm being exposed to. Might as well do asbestos while I'm at it.
Sometimes it is just better to not know.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Sometimes it is just better to not know.

yeah, I keep thinking I'm going to check the paint for lead, but I get home and forget these things. Actually I forget lots of things when I get home. Not sure what's going on there. Maybe I'll check the paint for lead when I get home.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^As often as you're getting laid, it is easy to see how other stuff would, um, slip your mind...

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like Home Depot carries the test kits for pretty cheap for paint and water, but doesn't look like they have anything to test for asbestos.

While I have the place gutted, I might as well spend a couple grand to make sure it's all lead free.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
It looks like Home Depot carries the test kits for pretty cheap for paint and water, but doesn't look like they have anything to test for asbestos.
Asbestos doesn't hurt you as long as you leave it alone, IIRC.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Asbestos doesn't hurt you as long as you leave it alone, IIRC.

True, but if it's an easy fix, might as well.....

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^I don't think there's an "easy" within $50,000 of asbestos.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever moon suits are involved it can't really be cheap....
asbestos.jpg

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe you could rent a few NASA suits on the cheap, seeing as how the fed has racked up a bit of debt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads