• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Plumbing

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on renovating a place that was built in 1948. I'm pretty sure it has all the original plumbing and fixtures still in it. I was planning on gutting the entire thing, plaster and all, and putting in new plumbing, electrical and insulation.

Is it absolutely necessary for a house built in the 40s to have the plumbing redone?

1BNY23

Reaction score
Not at all especially if you have copper. Lead or galvanized pipes would likely need replacing. I have an early 30's home with the original copper plumbing and heating lines. Over the years I have cut in and expanded in several places for additional appliances and in each case the copper was as smooth as the day it was installed. Good luck!

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the piping might be copper, I just worry that there is lead in the solder.

ms244

Reaction score
All modern plumbing solder I've used was lead solder. 50/50 tin & lead.
You can now buy lead free solder but I think its a pretty recent development.

So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I know that lead free solder for electronics (if you see something that says RoHS, it would probably cover this) has a tendency to develop micro cracks and fail over time. So lead free might not be ideal.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to get a lead kit for both the water and paint to see how much I'm being exposed to. Might as well do asbestos while I'm at it.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have fun! That sounds like a cool project.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I'm going to get a lead kit for both the water and paint to see how much I'm being exposed to. Might as well do asbestos while I'm at it.
Sometimes it is just better to not know.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Sometimes it is just better to not know.

yeah, I keep thinking I'm going to check the paint for lead, but I get home and forget these things. Actually I forget lots of things when I get home. Not sure what's going on there. Maybe I'll check the paint for lead when I get home.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^As often as you're getting laid, it is easy to see how other stuff would, um, slip your mind...

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like Home Depot carries the test kits for pretty cheap for paint and water, but doesn't look like they have anything to test for asbestos.

While I have the place gutted, I might as well spend a couple grand to make sure it's all lead free.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
It looks like Home Depot carries the test kits for pretty cheap for paint and water, but doesn't look like they have anything to test for asbestos.
Asbestos doesn't hurt you as long as you leave it alone, IIRC.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Asbestos doesn't hurt you as long as you leave it alone, IIRC.

True, but if it's an easy fix, might as well.....

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^I don't think there's an "easy" within $50,000 of asbestos.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever moon suits are involved it can't really be cheap....

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe you could rent a few NASA suits on the cheap, seeing as how the fed has racked up a bit of debt.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 237 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.8%
  • 31 - 40