• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pls explain European universities to me

sw20

Reaction score
College has been costly in US for decades; smart parents should consider in advance of having kids if they can afford to raise and educate kids....

Would define value of any college by ability of top grads to obtain a >$100K/yr job upon graduation
Lib arts colleges are utterly worthless in an economy dominated by tech and finance industries that have the most lucrative career paths today

IIRC, ~40% of Harvard's Class of '09 was unemployed at graduation: perhaps best example of lack of value of a "prestige" lib arts degree in a difficult economy

And at places like Wharton finance undergrad, the smartest kids finish undergrad in 2-3 yrs and then enter careers at investment banks or hedge funds at age 19 or 20

Harvard or Stanford kids who need 4 yrs and $250K to get a stupid lib arts degree and can't find a >$100K/yr job upon graduation are classic examples of Darwinian selection...even at elite colleges, bottom 90% of class tends to be filled w/economic and intellectual underachievers

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rover!
I was told so a while back by someone who studied in Germany. Maybe he studied at a private institute?

A Google search finds this, from the university of International Applied Sciences in Bonn:

Interesting. You are probably refering to the International University of Applied Sciences Bad Honnef, which is in fact private. There is a fairly large number of private universities in Germany, however I'd think that the overall number of students private vs. public might be rather low. Still, a high proportion of, say US students might well be enrolled at private universities since they are often geared towards foreign students. I have no idea how they compare to the public universities, though.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sw20
College has been costly in US for decades; smart parents should consider in advance of having kids if they can afford to raise and educate kids.... Would define value of any college by ability of top grads to obtain a >$100K/yr job upon graduation Lib arts colleges are utterly worthless in an economy dominated by tech and finance industries that have the most lucrative career paths today IIRC, ~40% of Harvard's Class of '09 was unemployed at graduation: perhaps best example of lack of value of a "prestige" lib arts degree in a difficult economy And at places like Wharton finance undergrad, the smartest kids finish undergrad in 2-3 yrs and then enter careers at investment banks or hedge funds at age 19 or 20 Harvard or Stanford kids who need 4 yrs and $250K to get a stupid lib arts degree and can't find a >$100K/yr job upon graduation are classic examples of Darwinian selection...even at elite colleges, bottom 90% of class tends to be filled w/economic and intellectual underachievers
People like you are the reason we live in a society of abject boorishness.

makker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sw20
College has been costly in US for decades; smart parents should consider in advance of having kids if they can afford to raise and educate kids....

Would define value of any college by ability of top grads to obtain a >$100K/yr job upon graduation
Lib arts colleges are utterly worthless in an economy dominated by tech and finance industries that have the most lucrative career paths today

IIRC, ~40% of Harvard's Class of '09 was unemployed at graduation: perhaps best example of lack of value of a "prestige" lib arts degree in a difficult economy

And at places like Wharton finance undergrad, the smartest kids finish undergrad in 2-3 yrs and then enter careers at investment banks or hedge funds at age 19 or 20

Harvard or Stanford kids who need 4 yrs and $250K to get a stupid lib arts degree and can't find a >$100K/yr job upon graduation are classic examples of Darwinian selection...even at elite colleges, bottom 90% of class tends to be filled w/economic and intellectual underachievers

How do people finish a finance undergrad at Wharton in 2-3 years? Isnt 4 years always compulsory?

Is there somekind of list anywhere of undergrad programs in a business subject (or law in Europe) which displays unis where alumni get >100k for starters?

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
1) There's no such thing as a "Free" education. If the government is paying, then you are paying for the Cost of Eduction PLUS the cost of the government administering the program. The usual government fee for administration is 40 to 60%. So the cost is up to 160% of what it should be. You WILL pay for it at some point in your life... more than you should have.

2) The state schools in the United States cost a fraction of private schools - if you go to a school in your state. Instead of $33,000 you pay $6,000.

3) Harvard is now north of $40K, no $33K

Originally Posted by Étienne
I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by JustinW
+ 1

+1

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MsMcGillicuddy
And it's true - the marking is completely different. The administration actively sought out the Americans to point out that if you get your first essay back and it was in the 60s, you should be HAPPY with that. In the states I would have been freaked out by such a grade.
When I was starting my years in preparatory programs for the Grandes Écoles, I celebrated two grades. The first one was when I got the best grade in the class for a philo exam (12 out of 20 = 60%). The second one was the first time I got a correct grade on my literature essay (a weak subject for me). By "correct", I mean 8 out of 20 (40%).

When I was teaching in the US, they went out of their way to ask us French lecturers to grade vey generously so that we would not traumatize the American students. I gave no lower grade than D (60%), which was amazingly generous by French standards, and still people complained.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads