• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pls critique the fit of these MTM Pants

SFA

Reaction score
So I got a local Toronto tailor to make me these pants. He only did one measuring (which I assume is the standard). I don't think these are bespoke, seeing how it was just one fitting. But either way, something to *me* seems off on the pockets.

As you can probably see, I do have a big behind, so RTW pants will generally have the pockets flare out on me, and my only option is to go 2 sizes higher, but this usually leaves me with pants that fit like a garbage bag (too baggy)

Do the fit of these pants from the pics look decent? I did pay about $180 for each pair, (bought 3), so I do think I spent a fair chunk of money on these and hope they actually do fit well and don't look like the same pair of RTW pants i have in my closet.

Any feedback is appreciated. I understand the actually taper/fullness of the pants isn't SF's standard, but I do have thicker/bigger legs and abig behind, so something skinny wouldn't flatter me.

my concern are the side pockets (ignore the fact there are no buttons on the back pockets.. for some stupid reason I asked him for no buttons, but I am going back to him to add the buttons). Is the back too full/too much fabric and this is the reason for the excessive material on the side of the pocket? These haven't been pressed professionally by a dry cleaner, other than the tailor pressing them himself.

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might get more replies if you put the images in-line so people can see them without having to download them first.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
I have the same affliction. My big behind will automatically mean that pockets will flare out a bit whenever my big ass stretches the fabric slightly through routine movement. Some pockets styles, like this one, will be affected worse than others.

Your pants do look a little baggy in the back and pocket area, but that may have been intentional on the part of the tailor if you explained your concerns before hand. Extra material will mean less pocket flaring during routine movement.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wouldn't pleats, even a single one in the front help with this problem...?
also, did you have to get 3 in the same order? MTM is more of a process than an immediate result I think. Plus even just taking one measure and getting them back, I assume that most tailors will still do some rework on them to get them perfect... is this just after arrival or after the tailor's adjusted them?

while there's no head on pic from the back, it looks to me like the back pockets are fairly close to the sides with a large gap between them... which if I'm imagining correctly, doesn't that make your ass look wider? like I would picture that putting the pockets closer to the middle would make it look smaller.

SFA

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the replies guys.. I realized my images I originally put as attachments, instead they are embedded.. Any comments or additonal feedback is appreciated.

The tailor is convinced these are a good fit, even though I did tell him about my hesitation on how "baggy" the butt area is. I think the taper is decent.. Again, I think these are probably not your SF approved style, but I really cannot pull off a skinny/slim fitting pair of dress pants due to my backside/legs.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your trousers are fine. Don't get buttons on the back pockets unless you actually use them. On second thought, adding buttons will keep the pipes from sagging. May look better.

These haven't been pressed professionally by a dry cleaner, other than the tailor pressing them himself.

Don't you consider your tailor as a professional? He presses better than any dry cleaner will.

Last edited:

SFA

Reaction score

Your trousers are fine. Don't get buttons on the back pockets unless you actually use them. On second thought, adding buttons will keep the pipes from sagging. May look better.

These haven't been pressed professionally by a dry cleaner, other than the tailor pressing them himself.

Don't you consider your tailor as a professional? He presses better than any dry cleaner will.

Hey thanks for the reply. I didn't mean to suggest that a professional tailor couldn't press pants properly, I just noticed for the the pants I got from him he didn't press them as crisp as I prefer (which my dry cleaner normally does). Not a big deal though.

I do plan on getting buttons on the back pockets.

Anyone else with any comments or feedback? I understand the pics aren't the best, but this is all I could get out of my blackberry.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buttons on the back pockets would make a huge diference as Despos suggests - I think that they would take the slight 'sagging' out of that area. Putting the pockets slighty more inboard and half an inch higher would also help I think.

Last edited:

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
I agree, all of my suit slacks have buttons on the back pockets. That would help tremendously.

Doxe

Reaction score
I have a similar problem with OTR pants. The flaring on the sides is due to larger hips and is often found on pants that have "on seam" pockets (that is, the pockets are in line or are very close to being in line with the outside seam of the pants. The first batch of Howard Yount pants had on seam or near on seam pockets and there was some flaring of the pockets in pics posted on the Howard Yount thread. Vox made the suggestful comment that the best OTR pants did not have "on seam" pockets.

I had this fixed on some Coppley pants I bought. My alterations tailor took in a bit of fabric at the seam where the pants were flaring. He called the area he took in the "peg". It wasn't much of an alteration but it helped. He also let out the seat a bit to accommodate the fabric being taken in at the sides.

I use Magic Tailor at 211 Yonge St., on the East side of Yonge right across from the Eaton Centre. Prices are great and he knows what he's doing. The owner's name is Mehmet.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seems to be something missing in the pictures.

viator

Reaction score
It's hard for me to tell from the pictures, but do the pocket openings look a bit large? And if so could that be contributing to the problem (which I think is minor)?

One other thing to consider is whether adding more fabric closer to the waistband and removing some from further down on your hips might help.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your trousers are fine.

Don't you think the pockets are bulging out on the sides? I thought this was a sign that something is too tight.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads