• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pleats Vs. Flat Front

JuniorJetSet

Reaction score
Which do you prefer, pleated or flat front pants? Are flat fronts meant to be more dressy? Someone mentioned a few months ago that Europeans generally eschew pleated pants. Should the well-dressed man's closet include both pleated and flat front pants?

thanks

JuniorJetSet

Reaction score
Bump...
thumbs-up.gif

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
flat front pants look terrible on many men IMO. A lot of the folks here like them and I do as well, but I prefer sharp pleated trousers to flat front.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
Junior:

Pleats and cuffs are traditional. Flat front pants have been with us for years and presently are trendy.

Pleats automatically widen at the hips when you sit giving you more room when you need it. Pleats also let you put more stuff in your front pockets including your hands without disturbing the drape. If you're wearing the right size pants, pleats are actually slimming.

Suit trousers should have pleats and cuffs.

Andy

Sevcom

Reaction score
Neither is particularly dressier, though higher rise pleated trousers made for braces are probably more formal than low-rise flat-fronts.

Personally, I prefer flat-fronts, but I alternate between slimmer ones and roomier Varvatos-like ones. The only pleated trousers I have now are the bottom halves of suits, and that's not intentional.

As for cuffs, I only wear small ones on pleated trousers, in a nod to 20th century tradition. But they're also not de rigeur (and actually less formal). To aid drape on cuffless trousers, have a tailor sew a canvas strip onto the bottoms.

scot

Reaction score
I have both, and generally prefer flat front pants overall. Unfortunately they aren't perfect for me due to my body shape, I am a thin guy with a butt. This stretches the fabric a bit and can make the pockets push out from your side, disturbing the slim line of your pants. I believe full custom pants would solve my issue, but I cant afford that just yet.

My girlfriend greatly prefers the flat front, which is the real reason to wear them.

Scot

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have both, and generally prefer flat front pants overall. Unfortunately they aren't perfect for me due to my body shape, I am a thin guy with a butt. This stretches the fabric a bit and can make the pockets push out from your side, disturbing the slim line of your pants. I believe full custom pants would solve my issue, but I cant afford that just yet.

My girlfriend greatly prefers the flat front, which is the real reason to wear them.

Scot
That's what happens when you let women dictate your style...

Jon.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
Indeed. I prefer single forward pleats. I find forward pleats more functional for pockets than reverse pleats, and far more comfortable than flat-fronts. While I am slim, I think single forward pleats can work for most builds. Some of my trousers are cuffed some are not. I do not consider one style to be more formal than the other on a suit.

Drew

Reaction score
I prefer flat front, but do own some pleated pants that I enjoy.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to wear single pleated pants though I have on occasion bought flat front.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit trousers should have pleats and cuffs.

Andy
i don't know where andy gets his information but pleats and cuffs are simply a matter of preference.

try on different styles and see which you like best. many on this forum describe flat-fronts as slimming but it depends on your body shape. i have large thighs and look best in single-pleated pants. flat fronts only make my legs look bigger.

btw, cuffs do look more conservative.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have flat, pleated, double pleated suit dress pants. Â I do not have big thigh, so I can wear any style and I look ok. But if you have football player thigh, then you need pleated pants. The one thing I do not follow tradition with pleated pants is cuff. Â If pleated pants has narrow cut, then I do cuffs, otherwise I do not do cuffs. Â I know this is not common, but I like it. Oh guys, please try 2" or 3" (if u are tall) cuffs. It looks very stylish. I cannot stand at those 1.25" skinny cuffs
tounge.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer well cut flat-front pants, but that is due to my particular body type. I'm very long waisted, so no RTW pleated pants, even hight-rise ones, actually reach my waist. They hit somewhere in the middle which is not very flattering, makes you look thicker than you are. A flat-front pant with a fairly low rise is much better looking on me in RTW. The best examples I've found are all from Luciano Barbera, perfect.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh guys, please try 2" or 3" (if u are tall) cuffs. It looks very stylish.
I would have to respectfully disagree with this. Three inches? You'd have to be Shaquille O'Neal.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I seem to have an amalgamation of everyone's problems, fairly thin waist but then...substantial...butt and thighs. To the tune of 31 waist, 40 or 41 hips, 5'7" tall. Pants with enough of a rise to meet my waist tend to be way too big. My best bet has been lower rise flat front pants, as pleats seem to open up on me when I walk. I'm always in the market for odd trousers that fit, there aren't many out there. Any recommendations for pants or jeans that are 1.) full through the hips and thighs and 2.) somewhat 'modern'--fashionable even? For reference, my best fitting jeans are a pair of 31-30 Diesel Ravix which are 'relaxed fit,' but not on me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads