• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pleats for n00bs

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
have you check out Andover's website lately, guess everyone moves with the time they have things I wasn't expecting (dress sneaker, zip in liner sports coat, knit blazer)

Yes.

adrianvo

Reaction score
have you check out Andover's website lately, guess everyone moves with the time they have things I wasn't expecting (dress sneaker, zip in liner sports coat, knit blazer)
Sneaker-hater here.

What on earth are "dress sneakers"?

Regarding pleats:
Personally I find reverse pleats on nicer darker fabrics, and forward pleats nicer on brighter fabrics. Just not a fan of reverse pleats on bright fabrics even though reverse pleats are my favorite in general.

Would you recommend high waisted trousers without pleats? I'm thin and feel like pleats just add bulk to my waist
That might be an issue with the fit, but you could try shallow pleats. Shallow pleats shouldn't really cause much bulking at all.
I think high waisted trousers without any pleats are a bit 50s-60s, so if that's your vibe then go for it!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hate is a strong word, the one Andover shop has are extra dorky, would be better if they just go for some minimalist white sneaker instead

adrianvo

Reaction score
hate is a strong word, the one Andover shop has are extra dorky, would be better if they just go for some minimalist white sneaker instead
True, but I just can't stand them - especially with classic menswear. I know I'm in the minority regarding it, but...
It's just something about them. Looks like children's shoes to me, or something I wore as a kid just with strap closure and blinking lights on the heel.

Imagine making Jack Purcells out of calfskin -- ta-daaaaa!
The horror...
1620140311050.jpeg

king_of_cups

Reaction score

My father grew up as one of the poorest families in Andover, and was dead-set on me going to Phillips (needless to say, despite my great-grandfather having gone, I didn't make the cut). I've never been to the Andover Shop website, but it just put a whammy on me in a big way. I'll send you my therapy bill lol

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
by the way when people say Andover Shop do they usually refer to the one in Cambridge or actually Andover

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by the way when people say Andover Shop do they usually refer to the one in Cambridge or actually Andover
Generally refers to the Harvard Square shop. The original Andover location served the prep school of the same name but was not frequented by the celebs, naturally.

I have a soft spot for colorful cranks but not Davidson. I always thought he was more jerk than crank, and the store was filthier than the men’s rooms at Fenway Park. Contempt for customers, in any business, never rings my bell. I guess you had to be a member of his private club, or cult, or whatever it was. But I went to the wrong Ivy League school—meaning not Harvard but the one in NYC, despite being a New Englander.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, you could whistle "We Didn't Go To Harvard" while you were there...

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heh you could always just get your Harvard blazer buttons online and be done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads