1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pleats and cuffs..... for short guys

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by YMark, Mar 25, 2005.

1. YMark

YMark Well-Known Member

I'm 45, slim, and short. 5'7" and 150 lbs.

I'm looking to purchase some new slacks and can't decide if I should get pleats and/or cuffs. I've heard that cuffs and pleats don't look great on shorter men. Any comments or suggestions from the fashion gurus on this site? I'm looking for wool but open to suggestions.

FWIW, I work in a business casual (gasp.) environment.

Thanks

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

It's not that they don't or can't look good on shorter guys; they can and do. The issue is whether you are looking for maximum elongation and are willing to forgo some stylistic detail in order to achieve it.

Flat front, cuffless trousers are more elongating that cuffed or pleated (or both) trousers. Now, this is not to say that they will make a 5'7" guy look 6'2". But they give a slight illusion of greater height -- slight. What you have to decide is how much you like cuffs and pleats, and if you are willing to sacrifce them for a hair's worth of elongation.

3. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Distinguished Member

I'm 5'7 and 136 lbs. I never buy pleated pants, and I never cuff them.

Luc

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

I'm short, and I like pleats; but I go with a very general rule when it comes to my trousers:

1 or 2 pleats: cuffed
    Flat front: no cuffs

Simply, effective and looks good.

Jon.

5. MCA

MCA Well-Known Member

In my opinion, **a properly cut**, pleated pair of trousers is actually more elongating than any flat front because pleats help maintain that uninterrupted line that is particularly critical for shorter men. Furthermore, the pleats themselves break the horizontal expanse with vertical, and hence elongating, lines.
    Cheers.