• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pleated Pants sttill fashionable?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've not worn pleated pants for a while mostly because I am in the opinion that only older and retired folks where them, not the young and powerful emergent execs.

However, it's not always easy to find non pleated pants in my size so sometimes I have to wear pleated (double). I am wondering in what context do pleated pants make you look good? Would you wear casual pleated pants? or should they be strictly for dressier set-ups? Please advice. I'm young and ignorant.
worship.gif

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The search function is your friend.

Short answer: they're not fashionable. Members are more likely to think single pleats are stylish on suits. No one thinks multiple pleats are acceptable.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Single only, but flat is preferred.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double pleats are acceptable if your body requires them, your fabric requires them, your cuffs require them and your budget requires them. If you're not skinny, you're wearing a heavy flannel with 1 1/2" cuffs and you can't find single-pleats, then go for double pleats, with the pleats facing in and the inner pleat on the crease of the pants.

heavyd

Reaction score
Winter flannel / cashmere wool pants can have pleats because the fabric is heavy and lays well http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...ol+dalton&sr=1

Whereas lighter weight wool or cotton pleats are not flattering.

They key is to wear a pant that is flattering on you. Z Caverucci multi-pleat pants should be avoided.

bcate3

Reaction score
Considering men’s styles swing like a pendulum, pleats may be very fashion forward. Flat front is the standard now but wasn’t so, I don’t think, until the late 90’s if not more recently. I remember vividly shopping for chinos around 97 and couldn’t find any in my southwestern home town. Availability was confined to J crew catalogues or perhaps east coast stores. I bet flat front dress pants were even harder to find then. Right now, FFs are favored because of the preference for a slimmer silhouette. Once a look becomes mainstream, the forward types are already moving in another, opposite direction. Wouldn’t surprise me if the fuller cut or pleated look is now getting a look by designers.

jyook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcate3
Considering men's styles swing like a pendulum, pleats may be very fashion forward. Flat front is the standard now but wasn't so, I don't think, until the late 90's if not more recently. I remember vividly shopping for chinos around 97 and couldn't find any in my southwestern home town. Availability was confined to J crew catalogues or perhaps east coast stores. I bet flat front dress pants were even harder to find then. Right now, FFs are favored because of the preference for a slimmer silhouette. Once a look becomes mainstream, the forward types are already moving in another, opposite direction. Wouldn't surprise me if the fuller cut or pleated look is now getting a look by designers.

Actually, it's funny you say that... A saleswoman at an Armani outlet told me that GA is going to be releasing pleated pants soon...

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are not "fashionable", they are classic. Flat-front is probably preferred if your young and relatively thin. But pleated is an option for most, and it's hardly noticeable to most if suit pants are single-pleated rather than flat front.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
I've not worn pleated pants for a while mostly because I am in the opinion that only older and retired folks where them, not the young and powerful emergent execs.

I needed a Yoda-to-English translator to understand this sentence. At any rate, pure nonsense.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Wear what you like, and what looks good on you.

+1

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Wear what you like, and what looks good on you.

Agreed. I've heard way too many "experts" (e.g. folks on TV and in GQ) trying to push flat fronts on to people who don't wear them well, such as bigger, heavier folks. They say that nobody should wear pleated fronts anymore.

That's bunk.

Some people look great and trim and slim in flat fronts. Some look terrible. I have big hips, and flat fronts look just terrible on me. The pockets flare out like ears, they make me look fatter, they're just not a good look on me.

On the other side of the coin, I've seen skinny guys who look ridiculous in double-pleated fronts. They look like they're wearing bloomers.

Some guys have the luxury of being able to wear either style. But pleated fronts are not dead, and never will be.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho

Flat front pants makes one younger and more powerful.
plain.gif

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Agreed. I've heard way too many "experts" (e.g. folks on TV and in GQ) trying to push flat fronts on to people who don't wear them well, such as bigger, heavier folks. They say that nobody should wear pleated fronts anymore.

That's bunk.

Some people look great and trim and slim in flat fronts. Some look terrible. I have big hips, and flat fronts look just terrible on me. The pockets flare out like ears, they make me look fatter, they're just not a good look on me.

On the other side of the coin, I've seen skinny guys who look ridiculous in double-pleated fronts. They look like they're wearing bloomers.

Some guys have the luxury of being able to wear either style. But pleated fronts are not dead, and never will be.

+10000000000

Yes, I'd love to wear some flat fronts, but being a heavy guy (working on changing that), pockets on flat front pants look like mickey mouse ears coming out of my hips. Looks horrid.

I sometimes wonder why they don't just make dress pants with no pockets. I really don't understand the purpose of pockets on dress pants.

Your coat will have 4-5 pockets (sometimes more) including inside pockets usually, and most men going to and from work carry some type of bag/case.

However, people get caught up in "what's hot now" and forget all about what they look good in.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pleated pants hang in my closet. Will they come back into style? I'm confident they will, but I think it will be a while.

Mr Checks

Reaction score
You should never shop with the aim of being fashionable.

I've had people tell me they "hate pleats" and then say "love your suit" (while I was wearing pleats)

Really, you ought to be trying stuff on and seeing how it looks on you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads