• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pleated Pants: Forward vs. Reverse (revisited)

inlandisland

Reaction score
I have done a bit of digging on this topic, but have found that the threads were not addressing my question, or were at least a couple of years old, and I'm wondering what pleated pants wearers think currently...

WHO: The people whose opinions I am most interested in are those who intentionally choose to wear pleated pants, some or all of the time.

When it comes to pleated pants:

a) What looks better - forward or reverse?
b.1) Which is more functional?
b.2) What do you perceive the function of pleats to be (comfort, drape, extra room, etc)?
c) Single or Double?

To this point, I have only worn flat front trousers, but I have seen pants with shallow pleats that I thought looked very good and I am interested in possibthe possibility of trying them out. I am thin, and I don't need the extra room, but I think that sometimes pleats make for a nicer aesthetic.

Thanks.

For your reference:

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I have a single, reverse pleat on a couple of my suits. I think they create a very nice drape and a natural line for the crease to follow down the leg of the pant.

That said, I prefer to stick to flat-front due to the usual fit of pleated pants. The FUPA billow you see so often with double forward pleats is enough to keep me from turning to them as a natural go-to. Not to mention most pleated pants cannot be cheaply tapered so they need to fit perfectly.

Last edited:

steveoly

Reaction score
When done well, pleats are awesome. IMO, they're quite flattering, fit comfortably, don't "accordion" wrinkle like FF pants and my pockets don't flare out like they do on FF pants. My two favorite pairs of trousers have double reverse pleats. This being said, when not done well, they can become a train wreck. While modern pleated pants are great, older - think thrifted Zanellas - pleated pants that look like shark's gills are a disaster.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
single are nice on formal pants as they transition into a sharp crease
reverse because it jives with the direction of the pocket
dont see a point to forward

Geezer

Reaction score
a) Forward (aka, traditional, proper, normal, what your skilled and experienced tailor does if you say "pleats" and do not elaborate further).
b) 1. Forward;
b) 2. All of the above.
c). Depends entirely on your build, including the size of your arse and how much venilation your penor and nutsack require.

Reverse pleats are just so 80s. In a bad way.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't think I can say I've ever seen a forward pleat in person.

tps16

Reaction score
A. Forward
b1. Forward
b2. Comfort, better drape
c. double

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have done a bit of digging on this topic, but have found that the threads were not addressing my question, or were at least a couple of years old, and I'm wondering what pleated pants wearers think currently...
WHO: The people whose opinions I am most interested in are those who intentionally choose to wear pleated pants, some or all of the time.
When it comes to pleated pants:
a) What looks better - forward or reverse?
b.1) Which is more functional?
b.2) What do you perceive the function of pleats to be (comfort, drape, extra room, etc)?
c) Single or Double?
To this point, I have only worn flat front trousers, but I have seen pants with shallow pleats that I thought looked very good and I am interested in possibthe possibility of trying them out. I am thin, and I don't need the extra room, but I think that sometimes pleats make for a nicer aesthetic.
Thanks.
For your reference:

the answers to your question swill not have changed with time and the conclusions you dismiss as "not answering your question" do so precisely. Pleats are a classic feature.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forward. They're British.
All you need to know is, "Dress British, Think Yiddish"

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always forward pleats, one to two (preferable)

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a) Forward (aka, traditional, proper, normal, what your skilled and experienced tailor does if you say "pleats" and do not elaborate further).
b) 1. Forward;
b) 2. All of the above.
c). Depends entirely on your build, including the size of your arse and how much venilation your penor and nutsack require.
Reverse pleats are just so 80s. In a bad way.

:facepalm:

GE Niazi

Reaction score
It depends.....
For slacks to be casually with say like sweaters or simply with shirts, I would say go for Flat-Fronted ones.
For ones to be worn with sports coats & blazers, I would say go for single pleated ones, for blazers reverse pleats and for sports coats forward pleats.
For one to worn with suits, I would say go for double pleated ones, for two piece suits reverse pleats and for three piece suits forward pleats
For one to be worn with tuxedo, I would say go for triple pleated ones, for two piece tuxedos reverse pleats and for three piece tuxedos forward pleats.
A thing to keep in mind while buying slacks is that most of ready-to-wear slacks are cut huge and look sloppy.Better would be to get them bespoke or custom-made.Also pleated slacks require more care over flat-fronted ones.You need to press them pretty much every time you wear them.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It depends.....

.Also pleated slacks require more care over flat-fronted ones.You need to press them pretty much every time you wear them.

Nonsense, absolutely no difference.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the look of double forward pleats but it needs to be done right and doesn't look good on everyone. A single reverse pleat is more flattering and looks good on a larger number of people IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads