• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pleat front vs. plain front vs. body type?

wmarson

Reaction score
Hi. Do certain body types dictate what type of trousers might look best? Are plain front's typically for thin men and pleats for larger men? I guess my primary question is why would someone choose a pleat trouser over a plain front trouser (and visa-versa)? Thank you.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Preference mainly. Pleated trousers give you a bit more movement room (and also seem to tent up more when sitting in my experience). No pleats look cleaner and slimmer.

If you're going to pleat, I still say it's best to have the pleats face forward (English) unlike the American or Italian way (reverse). Reversed pleats don't help anyone's physique since they make one's hips seem like they're bulging. I'm sure everyone will argue this with me, but I've worn both types.

Whatever you do, don't go with triple pleated pants. Double is classic, single is a bit more modern.

bch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Preference mainly. Pleated trousers give you a bit more movement room (and also seem to tent up more when sitting in my experience). No pleats look cleaner and slimmer.

If you're going to pleat, I still say it's best to have the pleats face forward (English) unlike the American or Italian way (reverse). Reversed pleats don't help anyone's physique since they make one's hips seem like they're bulging. I'm sure everyone will argue this with me, but I've worn both types.

Whatever you do, don't go with triple pleated pants. Double is classic, single is a bit more modern.

Wider hips compared to narrow waist make the case for pleats, I think. Otherwise, your pockets might span.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bch
Wider hips compared to narrow waist make the case for pleats, I think. Otherwise, your pockets might span.

I believe what he's trying to say is that wide hips might pull the pockets on plain fronts outwards.

teacha.gif

psykon99

Reaction score
One thing I've noticed myself: while flat fronts do have a slimming effect, particularly on the hips/thighs, that effect may actually work against you overall.

I'm one of those men unfortunate enough to have a nice beer belly (more from junk food than beer, but there's some of that in there too). I tend to wear flats, but I've noticed that by slimming up the look of my thighs / hips, the size of my middle is accentuated. Whereas, when wearing pleats, my lower half seems to match my upper half in size. Then I look uniformly large all the way around but in a good way, not a bad one.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
I believe what he's trying to say is that wide hips might pull the pockets on plain fronts outwards.
In my experience some flat front pants do have a widening effect at the hips not only due to wide hips/muscular legs, but also because of the front pocket placement. If the front pockets are on seam, they don't lay flat against your leg and tend to flare out. Kind of like an oompa loompa. For some reason, I find that some pleated pants (I really don't know the difference between reverse or forward) has a slimming effect at the waist line, despite more room in the thigh/leg area.

bch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
teacha.gif

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Guys with developed glutes and legs (or just prominent rears) might be served better with pleats, since they give more room for a given waist size. I've got a 33" waist and 40" hips. Some flat fronts give me trouble, while others fit fine. I suppose if my hips were a few inches narrower, I would rarely if ever have a problem with flat front pants.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
I find flat fronts very uncomfortable for a mans personal parts, even w out anything in ones pockets. Whatever slimming effect is lost w pleats is a small price to pay IMO.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find this thread refreshing - I have a "prominent rear" as mentioned above, which most girls love but needless to say... makes flat front pants look terrible on me, and you can usually count my pubic hairs in the front from looking.

This makes me feel better about having to wear pleats.

bch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
....and you can usually count my pubic hairs in the front from looking.

Thanks for the visual, man.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see my share of students that are too thick to wear thin flat fronts. It winds up looking ridiculous. They would rather die than wear pleats, but they don't quite get that a little bit of room and drape to their clothes might actually enhance the overall appearance.

damonallan

Reaction score
Gents...

This can be a difficult one to get your head around...I agree.

If you're thinking body shapes: O, Cone, Pear, Rectangle, you can always draw out these shapes....ya I know it seems weird.

With the rectangle guy he can wear both if he is of average build. More pleats on a larger/wider man can help to make him look wider.

Take the short portly man as an example. The goal is to slim and lengthen. That can be acheived with flat front or single pleat.

The cone man needs his hips widened a bit to even out his body so even a double pleat will work some wonders here.

As for the Pear, again, pleats can help to widen the look.

I understand that the function of pleats is for comfort when the front is expended esp. when sitting. The portly gentlemen "O" or Pear can do some neat compromising by selecting FLAT FRONTs with SUSPENDARS.

Comments?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads