• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pleat-front trousers - only for formal?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Pleated-front trousers (as opposed to flat-front) are generally more formal, right?
But can they be worn as part of a casual outfit?
In particular I am thinking about a pair of pleat-front cords I own. Would these always look incongruous with anything other than a shirt/blazer type outfit? Or can they be worn (stylishly I mean - of course there is nothing physically to stop me) with, say, polos, sweaters, t-shirts etc?
Any pictures of this being done well?

oskar.vavtar

Reaction score
They go very well with casual tops, especially if they are made of a more causal fabric (like cords). I would only make sure not to wear a top that fits too tight.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pleats are not "Formal" or "informal" as PF said. There is perhaps some understanding of them as "traditional".

I think flat fronts often evoke "young" and "minimalist," and so can be used in that way if that is your goal.

The biggest thing to understand about trousers when it comes to flats vs pleats is body shape. Flat fronts just look better on slimmer men. If you have muscular legs, especially thighs, or are carrying weight, they are almost surely the wrong call.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you’re going to do pleats make sure the slacks are cut in such a way as to support both the pleats as well as complements your body type.

Forward pleats will typically allow for a sleeker look. Pleated pants look best when they are of a normal rise.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2021-06-19InformaleeCommerceShoot2233_1600px_1080x.jpg

2021-06-19InformaleeCommerceShoot2227_1600px_1080x.jpg

How would you do the pleats for linen pants in a lighter weight linen like the ones in this photo?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How would you do the pleats for linen pants in a lighter weight linen like the ones in this photo?

Personally dislike CM takes like that. If you're going to wear those, I would do a knitted top from Lemaire or something. Not a polo and tassel loafers.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How to make them, specifically how to do the pleats. I've seen these done Italian style with reverse pleats from the Italian designers with the rise of athleisure wear.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How to make them, specifically how to do the pleats. I've seen these done Italian style with reverse pleats from the Italian designers with the rise of athleisure wear.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More specifically and less ambitiously, how to discuss making them with your trusted tailor!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
More specifically and less ambitiously, how to discuss making them with your trusted tailor!

If you're ordering from a tailor, just show them a photo of what you want and they will make it for you.

I don't recommend getting pleated, drawstring pants from a tailor. These will look faddish in three years unless you know how to dress in a more SWD manner.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm really asking what you would get from a tailor along these lines. Are pleats necessary for this kind of linen pants? Is the drawstring/elastic waist indeed too faddish for a casual pair?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess I'm really asking what you would get from a tailor along these lines. Are pleats necessary for this kind of linen pants? Is the drawstring/elastic waist indeed too faddish for a casual pair?

Linen pants can be made with or without pleats.

Drawstring closure can be fine if you know how to wear them. If you're getting them from a tailor, however, it's questionable whether they are right for your wardrobe. Guys who go to tailors are often firmly rooted in CM. If you're getting a pair of linen pants from a tailor, I think you'd be safer off with a pair of traditional pants -- pleated or not -- designed to be worn with CM things.

On the internet, there has developed a very internet-y "sartorial" look. Ten years ago, it was all about bracelets and double monks. Now it's about Gurkha pants, drawstring pants, and safari jackets.

It's possible to wear all these things well. Someone can wear bracelets, Ghurka pants, or drawstring pants well. But the guys who find these things online through "sartorial" online brands often wear them poorly because they're chasing an online trend that has no real connection to anything except the internet. The resulting outfits just end up looking "internet-y."

If you wear them in a more SWD way (to use StyleForum terminology), then I think drawstring pants can be fine. If you wear them with a polo shirt and tassel loafers like the model above, it will look bad.

De Bonne Facture is a French brand that makes drawstring pants as ready-to-wear. I think they style them well in their presentations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads