• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please tell me what you think of this suit?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of having a suit made by a tailor whose shop is near my house, and he's considered upscale in my place. I put on a jacket he made for my Dad, who's a bit smaller in size than I am, but I was wondering what you guys would think of the suit construction based on these photos.

Think this guy will work for me?

suitsample1nf.jpg

suitsampleside0wt.jpg

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Doesn't look bad. Are your shoulders really that square, or is there heavy padding? See how little padding he's comfortable using. You want your shoulders to appear an inch or so wider than your hips, no more than that. Moderate waist suppression. The lapel width suits you but the huge notch is very '70s, see if you can narrow it up a bit. Most importantly, open up the skirt a little bit. No, a lot. The straight-down front quarters call attention to your hips; an inverted V will do a lot to slim down the look. I would start the flare just above the bottom button. Lower the pockets?

I know you asked about the construction, but it's nearly impossible to tell from the pics. How's the fabric feel? The wrinkles at your side make it look like it's fairly soft construction and canvassing.

Hope that helps-
Tom

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't say for sure but that doesn't look like a very well-made suit coat. The pockets, lapels, buttons, and shoulders don't look very good. But it's hard to speak with more certainty as the picture quality isn't the best and the coat is very ill-fitting on you. The styling is also pretty far off.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I would think a lower button stance would look better on your frame. I agree with Whoopee that the jacket looks pretty off in various areas, in addition to you already mentioning the jacket is too small for you, as fit seems to be another issue.

johnnynorman

Reaction score
Is the coat fused? The top corners of the lapels are curling away from the chest. This is a common sign of fusing or poor construction, though in this picture it might be a result of the very poor fit of that jacket.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fused, because he thinks it's a more modern construction, but he offers canvassing for the same price.

For my education, why, specifically, are the details like lapels not the best looking? I could post the higher res photos.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Fused, because he thinks it's a more modern construction, but he offers canvassing for the same price.

For my education, why, specifically, are the details like lapels not the best looking? I could post the higher res photos.

IMO Notch is too wide

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To clarify, I was wondering if I might just ask the tailor to make me a suit but with clear instructions in the sense that his worksmanship may be okay but his taste is a bit off. So if I specify details such as lapels, pockets, buttons, and especially all that shoulder padding, etc., I was wondering if it might work.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh god, please don't hurt me......

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a great deal.

It has the look of a fused garment - lapels curling and a 'dead' appearance across the front - notwthstanding the size differentail.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Is that jacket unvented? If so, that is not a style you should go with on your own jacket.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would the opposite of "dead" be?

Side vents would be best, right?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of style, this is what i recommand, the measurements are relative to the coat that you are wearing:
1. 1 inch longer in coat length to cover your butt completely.
2. Side vents.
3. about 0.5 inch lower top button.
4. for lapels, narrow on the bottom but gradually wider on the top.
5. High goerge.
6. about 0.5 inch lower jacket pocket.
7. You need light padding with more sloped shoulders

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way. Are lapels supposed to be flat against the chest or should they curl a bit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads