1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Please recommend shops to visit in San Diego

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CaptChaos, Dec 12, 2004.

1. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Senior Member

Vancouver has a rather limited selection of high end men's clothes unless you are willing to pay full retail prices. I'll be travelling to San Diego on business in the middle of January and would like to get recommendations from StyleForum members on shops to visit during my stay.

I'd be looking for shoes, perhaps some dark brown plain toe or cap toe Aldens or similar and some sports jackets and knits as well.

Any recommendations for sales in January or good consignment shops in San Diego would be welcome.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

I'll let BrianSD and others chime in here, but Fashion Valley in Mission Valley near SD has a few discounters, will you have access to a car while there?

There's probably a bigger selection of high end goods at discounters 45 min up the highway in Orange County than what you will find in SD...

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Fashion Valley has a small Neiman Marcus and Sak's 5th Avenue, so no special deals there, although there are about a million cars (which makes it hectic because I live in FV)... There is an Off 5th in Mission Valley (Just down the street), as well as a Nordstrom rack, and a Loehmann's - none of which are particularly special. I believe there are some fine Italian footwear stores in La Jolla, but I have no personal experience with them.

There's an Allen Edmonds outlet in the Carlsbad outlet center which is up the 5 a bit past la jolla and encinitas. There is also a Barney's NY outlet there, but nothing extravagant (used to have a Zegna and a Boss, but those are gone).

Really, shopping isn't great down here, and I wouldn't know about where to find Alden's myself. If you want to take a long drive out into the desert, you can go to the desert hills premium outlet center which has every outlet you could possibly want. I drive up to LA for shopping.

4. drizzt3117

You won't find Alden in Cabazon and it's probably a 3 hour drive or so from SD, you'll find more higher end goods in OC (The NM in Fashion Island and Saks in SCP has Alden, as does Gary's in Fashion Island. The Gary's outlet in Tustin may be one of the best places to get high end goods for a big discount in the SoCal area.

5. Phildominator

Phildominator Member

Raised and lived in San Diego for 18 years...for good shopping, I moved to New York. Haha...especially since I was from South County - Chula Vista area.

6. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

The Marshalls in Solana Beach (especially) and in La Jolla sometimes have amazing stuff, though it's extremely hit or miss.  I've seen Hermes scarves, Church's custom grade for $16, Bally shoes, Baccarat crystal, Tods loafers for $80, an Oxxford blazer for under $100 -- but this is over 9 years.  The Carlsbad outlets do have an extremely blah Barneys Outlet, but the Polo outlet can _sometimes_ yield treasures -- a few years ago I got a raft of Purple Label dress shirts for $30 each, and last year got a nice Purple Label twill button-down shirt for $40.  However, the Polo outlets have gotten a lot less likely to yield up these kinds of finds.  Time was when you could find some Purple Label ties tucked in with the regular Lauren and Polo stuff for $20.  Not the case anymore.  The Off 5th in Mission Valley is OK but not particularly thrilling.  Nordstrom Rack nearby is pretty hit or miss.

If you want Alden, I'd go to Nordstrom (several locations in the SD area).

7. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

La Jolla may still have the Ascot Shop.

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

Brian SD, An Allen-Edmonds outlet in Carlsbad? I don't think so. It's certainly not on the A-E website, nor was one there when I visited the Carlsbad outlets a few months ago. They do have Johnston & Murphy and Cole-Haan outlets there, but these are hardly likely to seduce a gentleman like Captain Chaos who aspires to Aldens.

9. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Senior Member

Thanks very much for the feedback. I'll look up these locations on the map and figure out if I can make the trek. I don't think I'll have time to drive for hours out of town but you never know.

Will there be any department stores sales (Nordstrom, Saks, etc) in January?

As much as I'd like to, a Vancouver to San Diego trip with a small detour to New York City probably wouldn't get past the expense department.

10. drizzt3117

There should be substantial sales in January, I don't think any of the Nordstrom's in the SD area have similar selection to the flagship store at South Coast Plaza though... a 45 minute detour to south Orange County would probably be worth your while, there is a Nordstrom's Rack there that gets all the stuff from the main store as well, you can get many high end brands there.

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Ascot Shop is still in La Jolla, and I believe they carry Alden. Gentleman's Quarter is there as well, perhaps a block or two away. Brady's is down to just a small store in the Hotel Del.

12. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Yea, I meant to say Cole Haan. My bad.