• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Recommend Shoes for Italy

An Ex Parrot

Reaction score
Attention SF Mavens: I'm taking the wife to Italy this summer (Rome and Umbria) and am soliciting recommendations for shoes to bring that are both stylish and comfortable for hoofing it around the city. A few more specific criteria:

1. Not interested in athletic shoes. Want something that will go well with nice trousers--can be dressed up or down.

2. We tend to spend a lot of time on our feet, walking a city's byways rather than queuing for hours for the Big Tourist Attractions (e.g., the Colosseum). So, I emphasize that walking comfort is paramount.

3. While we may do some shopping in Italy, I would prefer something I can buy stateside so I can hit the ground running, so to speak, when we get there.

4. Yes, price is a factor. (John Lobb: Sorry, you're out.) Obviously, the cheaper the better for a holiday shoe, but I'm not going to buy crap. (Not quite sure if Rockport falls into the "crap" category, but pretty sure it's close.)

5. I'm a middle-aged white guy, so my personal style is probably not far from what you'd expect: In suits, for example, BB and HF and the like, well-accessorized. Similar for casual wear. In other words: Nothing outre (I'm just not that hip).

Links would be helpful if the items are available online.

Would also value suggestions for cool stuff to do in Rome or Umbria, apart from the stuff in guidebooks, as well as places to shop if we get the urge.

I look forward to your suggestions!

Regards,

AEP

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving loafers. Probably from Tod's.

piergiacomi

Reaction score
If you buy in Italy, you must come in MARCHE, because in Umbria where is not a shoes factory... 80% of shoes factory are in Macerata/Fermo.
For example TOD's are reduced by 40%, Prada (CarShoe, Church's) etc.

If you want to buy a special shoes there is most famous: Santoni, Lattanzi, Bontoni etc, and here we are
biggrin.gif

Best Regards.

run23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
+1 Also, for me the ultimate travel shoe is the Alden unlined suede chukka. Not sure if they are your style, but they are light, incredibly comfortable right away, and look great with just about everything you would want to wear while traveling (ie, no conservative business wear). http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...-Chukka/Detail

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do a driving shoe, especially Tod's...your feet will be so utterly painful by the end of the first day that your trip will be ruined. You need something with some arch support and a thick sole that will do well with cobblestone. My recommendation is a loafer in caramel/walnut and keep your trousers in the light grey range to fit in well. Think Santoni Leonard as your style baseline. Yes, I know the color isn't what I suggested, but I am going solely for style.
santoni_leonard_cap_toe_bal_oxford_0.png

Moss

Reaction score
Make sure they are broken in before you leave.

+1 on Alden suede chukkas.

An Ex Parrot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by run23
Also, for me the ultimate travel shoe is the Alden unlined suede chukka. Not sure if they are your style, but they are light, incredibly comfortable right away, and look great with just about everything you would want to wear while traveling (ie, no conservative business wear).

Love the suede chucka, but afraid that the impish holiday gods will decree rain every day if I have suede footwear. Seems to be what happens here...

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by piergiacomi
If you buy in Italy, you must come in MARCHE, because in Umbria where is not a shoes factory... 80% of shoes factory are in Macerata/Fermo.
For example TOD's are reduced by 40%, Prada (CarShoe, Church's) etc.

If you want to buy a special shoes there is most famous: Santoni, Lattanzi, Bontoni etc, and here we are
biggrin.gif

Best Regards.

I endorse this suggestion. Regarding shoes, I defer to piergiacomi's expertise.
But for tourism you must visit Urbino, a beautiful Renaissance town and the birthplace
of Rafael.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marche

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by An Ex Parrot
Love the suede chucka, but afraid that the impish holiday gods will decree rain every day if I have suede footwear. Seems to be what happens here...

Suede wears well in rain. You have not read enough on here if you don't know this already.

mjphillips

Reaction score
+1 on the Alden suede chukkas, though if you don't want to spend the $, Clarks desert boots make great travel shoes. Comfortable, can be dressed up or down, light on the wallet, etc.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe people are recommending driving shoes.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

World's dumbest suggestion. Driving loafers = no heels = sore feet.

twistoffat

Reaction score
I´d suggest something like a nice timberland boat shoe. In contrast to driving shoes they are good to walk around in and Italy in summer can be a warm place. The driving shoes are a no no where alot of walking is concerned. Whatever you choose comfort has to be the main priority

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
World's dumbest suggestion. Driving loafers = no heels = sore feet.

It actually depends on what you're used to, you little ******. I wear driving loafers all summer and have never had a problem with comfort. I wonder how people survived before heeled shoes existed?

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
It actually depends on what you're used to, you little ******. I wear driving loafers all summer and have never had a problem with comfort. I wonder how people survived before heeled shoes existed?

Little ******? Good going there tough guy. Any way, you're free to screw up your feet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads