• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please recommend me a raw denim for $120 and less

Forkit

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of buying some new raw denim jeans. I like something that is dark navy or indigo in color. I am short of cash so anything $120 and below. I will pay $150 if I really like your recommendation. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, here:

nudie_slimjim.jpg

Thank you in advance for your input.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look like Nudies to me. Personally I'd recommend some APC New Standards for you which ought to be $120 or so after the StyleForum discount. They just came in stock at Denim Bar. Whatever your normal waist size is you'll need to subtract two from it and get that size as they'll stretch a bit and they are vanity sized. The denim is a little more rigid and they are indestructable.

Unless you want to go used. I have some of those in the pic that are used that I'll sell you for a good deal if you are a 31 waist.

chronic

Reaction score
+1 for the NS.

also, Uniqlo has some cheap ($80) selvedge raw denim. although the ink bleeds significantly more than any of my other raw denim. if you're in the NYC area, check out the Uniqlo store in Soho.

yamazs

Reaction score
+1 on the uniqlo.

You may be looking for APC hipsters (straight leg with a low rise).

freelance robotics

Reaction score
i haven't tried them on, but i've always liked the look of good society's slim cut for the price--$90. they have a regular cut as well, but i'm not as big a fan of that.

Forkit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
Those look like Nudies to me. Personally I'd recommend some APC New Standards for you which ought to be $120 or so after the StyleForum discount. They just came in stock at Denim Bar. Whatever your normal waist size is you'll need to subtract two from it and get that size as they'll stretch a bit and they are vanity sized. The denim is a little more rigid and they are indestructable.

Unless you want to go used. I have some of those in the pic that are used that I'll sell you for a good deal if you are a 31 waist.

Yeah, they're Nudies. I searched for APCs at denimbaronline.com, but couldnt find them. Can you post the link for APC New Standards? Thanks!

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Forkit
Yeah, they're Nudies. I searched for APCs at denimbaronline.com, but couldnt find them. Can you post the link for APC New Standards? Thanks!

They had to take them down off the website because APC doesn't like pictures of the jeans on models. Call Denim Bar at 301-986-5260.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fit Forkit is going for is a lot slimmer than the S-002 at Uniqlo (S-002 is the only raw selvedge Unqlo SOHO sells anymore).

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yamazs
+1 on the uniqlo. You may be looking for APC hipsters (straight leg with a low rise).
The hipsters have a REALLY low rise, like 8.0" so I'm not sure I'd recommend that to people who don't really know what they're getting into... There's a reason it's sold in the female section of APC's site...

spoonman

Reaction score
If you want your jeans that tight, you may have to size down 3 in APC NS's. APC New Cures have a slimmer leg and you would probably size down 2 in those for a similar fit. If you don't want to get in the cycle of buying and returning things because they don't fit, call up the store and get them to measure the waist (even thigh and leg opening if you want a particular fit) and compare that with a good fitting pair of jeans. The jeans that fit me great have a waist of 32&quot; measured lying flat. So when I bought APC NS's, I got a 30, but that turned out to be much baggier than I wanted. I returned that and got me a APC New Cure in a size 30, after consulting with the sales guy about the waist measurements, and they fit a lot tighter. The initial waist was like 30.5&quot; or so, but they have stretched out to a little over 32&quot;, which is almost perfect. The knee to leg has stretched out very little because I don't really do anything to stretch them. However, the thigh has stretched out quite a bit (not sure how much, I didn't care to measure). FYI, I do a light jog in these jeans pretty much everyday for like 30 minutes, which speeds up the process. I've owned them for less than a month, and I'd say that if the waist stretches out .5 more inches so I can sag them more, and the lower thigh .5 inches more, the fit would be perfect. I hope that helps.

John Stevenson

Reaction score
There are a lot of different brands within your price range. You've got Good Society, Esef, Academi, Naked &amp; Famous, APC and a few of the Nudie models.

Based on what I've seen from Good Society, I haven't been all that impressed. Never seen them in person but from pictures, they look mediocre at best. I hear they are pretty hard to fade if thats what you are going for. Goes for about $90 a pair.

Academi, again, nothing I've seen from them has been all that great. Strange fits on the two different models they have released. They grey selvage didn't have a top button, only a clasp like on dress pants, which I wouldn't particularly care for. They have some new stuff in the work, which I think looks very promising. Goes for about $80 a pair.

Naked &amp; Famous, just came out a few weeks ago. Mixed responses so far regarding how they fit, but the general consensus seems to be that they are of moderate quality. They have a few different cuts. Basic model starts at $120.

APC, tried and true. They tend to produce some amazing fades and they have a decent range of cuts. Very popular for good reason. They used to go for $140, but now I think they are $155.

Esef, another brand thats fairly new. I personally just bought a pair of their Ori model and I was pretty impressed with the quality for the price that I paid. No one really knows how they fade yet. Starts at $120 for the standard model.

Nudie, probably the most wide spread denim brand will probably not get much in the way of recommendations any more. I personally would only recommend the RRDS, but even at a discounted price, there are several better jeans available at the same costs.

Out of the brands I mentioned, I'd probably go for APC or Esef. If Naked &amp; Famous didn't have the exposed selvage on the coin pocket, I'd include them too. In terms of fit and denim quality, I wasn't too impressed with the others.

For the Esef, if you want fit pics, just PM me or respond here and I'll post them up. I sized down a bit so they look pretty slim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads