• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please recommend a tailor in NJ

mdp0430

Reaction score
I used to have the tailors at Brooks Brothers and Nordstroms do all of my tailoring. Apparently, they no longer provide that service for items not purchased from them. I can certainly understand that. However, this leaves me without a tailor. Can anyone recommend a decent tailor in NJ, preferably central NJ?

Thanks!

Jack2000

Reaction score
Maybe too far north, but he's a good tailor:

Camelia's Custom Clothiers‎
314 Washington Avenue, Nutley, NJ 07110-1926
(973) 661-3700‎

enarchay

Reaction score
I live in south NJ, so imagine the difficulty in finding a good tailor. The first tailor to whom I took some shirts did a horrible job. I recently took my clothing to another local tailor, but she didn't speak excellent English, so hopefully she doesn't do a worse job. I don't really know how to find a good tailor because there's no word of mouth down here about that sort of stuff.

stamp0102

Reaction score
Franco's Custom Tailoring
1241 Lawrenceville Road, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648-3532
(609) 883-9721‎

Just make sure you tell him exactly what you are looking for. Otherwise, you will end up with something that he likes.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stamp0102
Franco's Custom Tailoring
1241 Lawrenceville Road, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648-3532
(609) 883-9721‎

Just make sure you tell him exactly what you are looking for. Otherwise, you will end up with something that he likes.

+1 Franco is awesome.

mdp0430

Reaction score
Jack2000, Nutley is actually pretty close. Anyone else have any other recommendations in Central and Northern NJ? Thanks!

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ironically enough I'm originally from Nutley and had a lot of luck with

Vaccaro's Custom Tailoring
432 Centre Street
Nutley, NJ 07110

Miss going there, I havent found the same quality in Hoboken for the price. Really nice guy too

Jack2000

Reaction score
Who would have thought? Nutley NJ, home of great tailoring.
laugh.gif

FPMBAT

Reaction score
Alicjia from Euro Tailoring in Hamilton NJ is so good at what she does it is almost scary!

Hockey3081

Reaction score

Alicjia from Euro Tailoring in Hamilton NJ is so good at what she does it is almost scary!

+1 to this one. She's definitely a little on the pricier side (charged me the same to hem my jeans that NYC denim specialty shops charge) but she's excellent.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 to this one. She's definitely a little on the pricier side (charged me the same to hem my jeans that NYC denim specialty shops charge) but she's excellent.

+2. I've had her do 3 jackets w/basted sleeves (2 Caruso, 1 Isaia) and she's done a great job! Working buttons and the button holes are all made by hand. On all the trousers I've had her do 2" cuffs, she adds another hidden stitch to prevent them pulling open. Highly recommended!
Fred

Hockey3081

Reaction score

So after going to Vaccaro's, I'd surmise I'd have to be on drugs to go back to Alicja. Nothing against her personally as she's sweet and does great work. When comparing what I paid Charlie, I can't understand why her prices are what they are. I paid Vacarro's $20 to hem and taper a pair of pants. Alicja charged me around $80. Vacarro's charged me around $15ish to taper a sweater vest; she charged me about $60 to take in a wool vest. $220 to tailor a suit and going to Vaccaro's would save me about $100. And his work is excellent. As someone stated also, super nice guy.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had pretty good experiences with Westfield Tailors. Aside from being a little late getting some items done, the work is always good. He did an especially good job taking in my dress shirts around the waist after I dropped a few pounds. He charged $22 per shirt, but took the material in at the seams all the way down to the cuffs. I prefer this to having darts put in.

Does anyone have any experience with his MTM program?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have experience with having these tailors reset sleeveheads? I have several jackets with working buttoncuffs where the sleeves are just too long to do it from the cuff.

If so, howd it turn out, and what was the cost?

thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads