• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

please read IF you enjoy discounts

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reprehensible
I hate the fact that things are expensive and that they aren't available to everyone. The whole idea of exclusivity is snobbish and distasteful. I grant, yes, that the structure of the fashion in industry is really weird. I certainly don't want anyone to go out of business, least of all forum affiliates that are pleasant, helpful and generous. Retail in general is weird enough, and the clothing world in particular seems to be strange enough, that I'm certainly not going to try to spout some manifesto about How Things Should Be. I'm just saying, from an attitudinal perspective, some things are cool and understandable (supporting good clothing and businesses), and other things are cringe-inducingly lame (expensive == exclusive == good).
The features that we as a forum tend to like in clothing make that clothing is expensive. Because it's expensive most people won't spend money on it. Because most people won't spend money on it, less of the pieces are produced, fewer places stock it, and the product becomes more exclusive. Brands realize this and they start out small. It's a natural outcome of wanting nice, well-made and unique things. You buy your clothing because something about the piece appeals to you. For many people, the idea that they're wearing something semi-unique (or at least rare in their locale) is very appealing. Having cool clothing is a great way to stand out, and the coolest things are generally both scarce and because of that scarcity, expensive. That said, a high price tag doesn't imbue a piece with a special attribute and there's plenty of expensive clothing that you couldn't pay me to wear.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was talking specifically about the "Alden is so much more special because you can't get it on discount or purchase it in any remotely convenient way" that I quoted, more than the general thread topic.
Uhhh if you can find a place that sells Alden Cordovan Shell boots regularly at a discounted price in a variety of sizes please let me know. Otherwise, you seem to be missing the whole point, but whatever. I'd say I'm pretty much at the bottom tier of purchasing power when it comes to SF and I definitely scrounge a lot... but I don't think I could ever do something like that. It just seems really disrespectful, to both retailers. I definitely like the discounts, but I also like how I can directly talk to the Affiliates, ask questions, get clarifications, etc. It's a great resource that I have personally as a shopper and I am saddened that people take advantage of it.
I hate the fact that things are expensive and that they aren't available to everyone. The whole idea of exclusivity is snobbish and distasteful. I grant, yes, that the structure of the fashion in industry is really weird. I certainly don't want anyone to go out of business, least of all forum affiliates that are pleasant, helpful and generous. Retail in general is weird enough, and the clothing world in particular seems to be strange enough, that I'm certainly not going to try to spout some manifesto about How Things Should Be. I'm just saying, from an attitudinal perspective, some things are cool and understandable (supporting good clothing and businesses), and other things are cringe-inducingly lame (expensive == exclusive == good).
Ughh, stop complaining. Exclusive is relative and I'm pretty sure that, money aside, I would be able to get 95% of the brands listed on SF just through the internet. A lot of the brands on SF aren't huge, multi-national, multi-billion dollar companies that are able to chuck a store in every mall. Yes, EG does like to keep it's exclusivity, but it's only exclusive to the extent that you can't walk into a Walmart anywhere in the US and buy it right there. Part of the "exclusivity" is the fact that the brands, compared to many common well known ones, are small. Tiny, in fact. Sometimes the exclusivity is due to the fact that the production runs are limited. Something like an EG Bedford is exclusive in the fact that the common person on the street has no idea what EG is and their knowledge of brands is limited to Nikes & Levis. And yes there's a part snobbish appeal but I think on the opposite end of the spectrum is the slob appeal. I think you're confusing "exclusive" with "I can't find it at Walmart".

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
It's also important to realize that at the end of the day people like the idea of a 'luxury' product that's exclusive. There's a reason that as brands become more popular in the public they become less popular hair, and price is a pretty important factor in keeping the brand out of the hand of 'proles'.
And this type of thinking makes me reconsider even a passing interest in fashion.
The features that we as a forum tend to like in clothing make that clothing is expensive. Because it's expensive most people won't spend money on it. Because most people won't spend money on it, less of the pieces are produced, fewer places stock it, and the product becomes more exclusive. Brands realize this and they start out small. It's a natural outcome of wanting nice, well-made and unique things. You buy your clothing because something about the piece appeals to you. For many people, the idea that they're wearing something semi-unique (or at least rare in their locale) is very appealing. Having cool clothing is a great way to stand out, and the coolest things are generally both scarce and because of that scarcity, expensive. That said, a high price tag doesn't imbue a piece with a special attribute and there's plenty of expensive clothing that you couldn't pay me to wear.
You can't conflate desiring the quality of exclusivity and desiring the qualities of which exclusivity is a byproduct. There are plenty of people who will buy something just because it says Gucci on it, and this forum is not bereft of that sort of thinking.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ the idea of street style was BASED on the notion of the haves vs. the have nots. Get Smart posted a really good documentary about this from the BBC. old school teddy boys and mods usually only had one great suit that they wore the **** out of. i admire this mentality more than the buy all you can at a cheap price mindset that a lot of modern day consumers have. high fashion isn't about making your dollar go further, it's about holding yourself to a higher regard.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
And this type of thinking makes me reconsider even a passing interest in fashion.

Unfortunately this type of behavior is a driving force behind the purchase of almost anything, cars, homes, furniture. anything.

With that said, quality clothing tends to usually cost money. Things like hand sewn button holes, mother of pearl buttons, unique stitching or exotic materials drive up the price of goods. Engineered Garments is expensive, yes, but you're getting an extremely nice product for your dollars, and I think that even at full price most of the pieces are "worth" purchasing.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are a lot of brands out there that don't discount in the states.
Sugar cane is one of them. Their reason is branding and the fact they believe their brand is the best brand on the market so it should never be de-vauled.

Crate is another brand that doesn't like to be put on sale and with fair reason. They offer a killer price with a solid ******* product. they price point and product crushes APC hands down.
Soon crate we get the popularity of APC and people will want Chad's jean left and right.
Mark my words.

Please dont forget the purpose of this thread becasue I know a lot of you are to lazy to read the first page.

Affiliates want to help our SF customers/clients however please to return things to other retaielrs and say " Hi I am from style forum and affiliate X gives me a discount so piss off".

On a side note I will be offering Band of Outsider made to measure suits. they will be the same price as the regular suit and for the people who aren't chatty kathy's I will hook you up!

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately this type of behavior is a driving force behind the purchase of almost anything, cars, homes, furniture. anything. With that said, quality clothing tends to usually cost money. Things like hand sewn button holes, mother of pearl buttons, unique stitching or exotic materials drive up the price of goods. Engineered Garments is expensive, yes, but you're getting an extremely nice product for your dollars, and I think that even at full price most of the pieces are "worth" purchasing.
Yeah I agree with you here.
Originally Posted by Mauro
for the people who aren't chatty kathy's
lol

reprehensible

Reaction score
The features that we as a forum tend to like in clothing make that clothing is expensive. Because it's expensive most people won't spend money on it. Because most people won't spend money on it, less of the pieces are produced, fewer places stock it, and the product becomes more exclusive. Brands realize this and they start out small.

It's a natural outcome of wanting nice, well-made and unique things.

You buy your clothing because something about the piece appeals to you. For many people, the idea that they're wearing something semi-unique (or at least rare in their locale) is very appealing. Having cool clothing is a great way to stand out, and the coolest things are generally both scarce and because of that scarcity, expensive.

That said, a high price tag doesn't imbue a piece with a special attribute and there's plenty of expensive clothing that you couldn't pay me to wear.

Sure, I mean, the first part I totally buy. If I want a coat made out of lovely hand-stitched yak leather, pre-distressed by dudes with MFAs, obviously that's expensive. And, it turns out, if I want cotton pants that are worth a ****, that also costs a suspiciously large amount of money. Fine, denim makers in Japan gotta eat.

I buy into that, I have purchased the t-shirt, I am part of the team. Go team!

Elitism and exclusivity in consumer goods, on the other hand, does not appeal to me, and I find it to be an unappealing trait in others.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Sure, I mean, the first part I totally buy. If I want a coat made out of lovely hand-stitched yak leather, pre-distressed by dudes with MFAs, obviously that's expensive. And, it turns out, if I want cotton pants that are worth a ****, that also costs a suspiciously large amount of money. Fine, denim makers in Japan gotta eat.

I buy into that, I have purchased the t-shirt, I am part of the team. Go team!

Elitism and exclusivity in consumer goods, on the other hand, does not appeal to me, and I find it to be an unappealing trait in others.

It's a fine line to walk, I agree. Unfortunately the 'elitists' keep everyone in business, just like the people who are just searching for a quality product.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lux⋅u⋅ry    /ˈlʌkʃəri, ˈlʌgʒə-/ [luhk-shuh-ree, luhg-zhuh-] noun, plural -ries, adjective –noun 1. \ta material object, service, etc., conducive to sumptuous living, usually a delicacy, elegance, or refinement of living rather than a necessity: Gold cufflinks were a luxury not allowed for in his budget. 2. \tfree or habitual indulgence in or enjoyment of comforts and pleasures in addition to those necessary for a reasonable standard of well-being: a life of luxury on the French Riviera. 3. \ta means of ministering to such indulgence or enjoyment: This travel plan gives you the luxury of choosing which countries you can visit. 4. \ta pleasure out of the ordinary allowed to oneself: the luxury of an extra piece of the cake. 5. \ta foolish or worthless form of self-indulgence: the luxury of self-pity. 6. \tArchaic. lust; lasciviousness; lechery. –adjective 7. \tof, pertaining to, or affording luxury: a luxury hotel.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rep- I agree with you and I am in the Biz. There is NO need to be elitest about anything > there is a way to express yourself and enjoy certain pleasures or crafts without being a dick.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That all just seems like crazed nonsense to me. A bunch of elitist status-seeking bullshit.

You can talk to me about wanting to support designers, and being a niche business, and needing high prices to put out a good product that doesn't have a large audience. Fine, watch my head nod along. But "this is something the proles can't have" is an offensive and stupid reason for doing anything.

I totally agree with what you said here: "being a niche business, and needing high prices to put out a good product that doesn't have a large audience." But it's simply human nature that exclusivity increases the value of items. If you like something, and it's scarce, then you'll often want it more, and you'll often appreciate it more when you have it.

As far as I know, no store carrying EG will require you to be anything except a person with the will and means to buy the stuff. It seems like all kinds of people are into it. It's not cheap, but it ain't Tom Ford prices either. It's within the range of a lot of folks if they want to buy it.

I also can't stand the elitist thing. I'd say that the majority of people on this forum feel the same way. Hence, we're geared towards brands like this that emphasize quality and artisanal production.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
I am not sure but I dont think that all brands necessarily set retail prices. I have seen different prices for the same exact things different all over the place. Barney's usually sets higher prices than other people.

Also, I know certain places who buy their merchandise over seas set their prices based on the exchange rate at the time they paid for their goods. So since different places pay at different times..it might cause them to set different prices for their goods.

I have seen a CCP jacket..the same one for 6300 at atelier, 6800 at maxfield, and 7500 at alan bilzerian. One of the guys at Atelier told me they also set prices based on how the Euro was diong at the time they paid.

I think there is general guideline as how much to mark up but there is really no strict rate for a lot of brands.

Stores typically use: price paid by store at the time X markup rate (say 2.7). So yes it means FW09 japanese garments will be ******* expensive because the yen is strong.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
stores have different rates of mark up

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics