• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please rate this suit fit

zerostyle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just ordered the Benjamin suit from Ehaberdasher.

I'm 5'9, 150lbs. This is a 38R.

front-2-1.jpg

front-1.jpg

side-1-1.jpg

back-1.jpg

I'm considering trying to swap it out for a 38S.

I seem to be somewhat between sizes, though. (At stores, the short is quite short on me).

Anyone else around my height have advice for regular vs. short suit sizes?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeves need to be shortened. A size short might due the trick.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmadha
Definitely go with a 38s or even a 36s.
I've tried on many 36R's/s's, and unfortunately the chests are all way too tight on me - the lapels end up billowing out. Overall, I'm most concerned with the jacket length.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
My first reaction was that it looked too long (jacket and sleeves), so I would go with a 38S. Maybe even a 36S. I would also shorten the pants a bit to have less of a break to create less bunching around the ankle.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Also,

Notice that my shirt collar wouldn't quite stay pressed up against the suit collar. What would fix that?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Looks pretty damned good to me. Amazing how clean that back is for OTR.

You definitely need a short though. Still, overall pretty darned good, even if I'm not in love with all the stylistic choices.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
I'm your height and I usually wear 38s. Specifically jackets with 29" BOC length.
Interesting - according to ehaberdasher the BOC measurements are: 38R: 29.5" 38S: 28.9" Aren't most shorts much less that 0.6" compared to a regular off the rack? I feel like the ones I've tried on have been 1.5-2" shorter. It sounds like the 38S with a 28.9" would work really well.

kohelet

Reaction score
Usually 5'9's can pull of the regular size. I can't see clearly by your picture but you just might have a shorter torso and longer legs and a SHORT suit would be better for you. The jacket clearly has to be over 1'' shorter as well as everything the sleeves.

You look like you're swimming in this suit. It is a nice suit though so 1 out 10 (not counting the size) I give it an 7.0

mjHession

Reaction score
Return and get a 38s, as said above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads