• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Provide Guidance Professional Business OverCoat

Damarius

Reaction score
I would like to get some advice and counsel on a overcoat I am considering.

I have looked at the more modern overcoats and they seem to have a slim lapel. However I was considering purchasing a more vintage overcoat with a wider lapel made by Norton & Sons on Savile Row.

Which one would you go with?

This is the Savile Row OverCoat with wider lapel.

Brioni Recent Over Coat Small Lapel

Which one would you go with?

minervau

Reaction score
The double breasted look with the wide lapel might work IF the coat fits perfectly, but otherwise it could look bulky and odd. Honestly if you have the funds to go for a coat like the Brioni, why wouldn't you just do that? (Not sure if you were just using the Brioni as a generic example, not as your alternative buy.)

Towers

Reaction score
Depends what kind of weather you'll be facing, sometimes having a big collar to turn up against the wind is necessary.

Damarius

Reaction score
I thought having a savile row coat with a large collar may look better than the standard small collar.

mjd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look into the brioni double breasted overcoats, bigger lapels but a trimmer fit.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first one is a classic. The 2nd one will look dated in a couple years.

gambit50

Reaction score
To some degree it depends on your overall style. Even though your suit is covered, there is enough to know if they are not in agreement.
I don't think the Brioni(or any coat in that style) will look right if your suit is not a bit more fitted. Does not have to be in the style of Napoli but nothing that is too boxy, draped and very structured.
I think mjd makes a good suggestion.
Not sure I agree with ballmouse's second point. It is more of the moment across the world but not as much in Italy.

Damarius

Reaction score
I am a trend setter not a follower. However my concern is that management that I work for at a very large fortune 50 company would simply thing that I can not afford the more modern style.

However, classis style can never become dated. Least that is what I thought.

Thank you for all your responses.

sullivan025

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I prefer the Savile Row overcoat a bit looser, I don't really favor slim fitting overcoats as it limits my movement especially when I'm wearing a suit underneath.

Gorecki

Reaction score
would i get thrown in the fire if i say that have seen Hugo Boss and Armani coats that look much much much better?
nest.gif

gambit50

Reaction score
I am a trend setter not a follower. However my concern is that management that I work for at a very large fortune 50 company would simply thing that I can not afford the more modern style.

However, classis style can never become dated. Least that is what I thought.

Thank you for all your responses.
Wouldn't your management know what you can afford? I do not know what country you are based in but a few points.
Modern vs classic is not necessarily a cost issue. If your management doesn't know this, I am guessing this is not a first world type of atmosphere and thus you could just paste a vanity label on any piece of crap and be approved.
If you are so concerned about what they perceive regarding your clothes, then why solicit opinions in this forum?
Classic style indeed implies that it is proper and should be well received across various eras.
In some countries, let's use the USA, bigtime management would prefer conservative suit and tie versus very modern tailoring and flashy accessories. They want you to blend in, be in the company line, not stand out, etc.
'a very large fortune 50 company' is an oxymoron.

Gorecki, it depends on where you are located and which SF members are around.
I personally would not but I would just disregard your opinions.
Mostly because the pics in the OP are not that great that you can really see quality. The basic shape, yes.
Also, you should post these superior coats since you would save the OP a few quid.
I am not a huge fan of Brioni but Boss and Armani have hardly shown me better, overall.
And while I am open minded about it, I would bet the workmanship of the first is surely better if I had to bet blindly on any comparable pieces.
Probably the fabric as well but that might go by line though I do not recall any Armani overcoats in detail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads