• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help with suggestions on suits and shoes

Reaction score
It looks like I may be the only person here that can't spend $2000 on a suit and $300-600 on a pair of shoes, yikes! I am 6' 160, and I like the trim european style suits, but I can't seem to find anything in my price range. I like the Boss black suits but those are still high for me
musicboohoo[1].gif
. Any suggestions, or comments on the quality of Boss Black? How about decent shoes in the $100-200 range. Thanks!
-Clay
P.S. I hope I'm not crampin' your guys' style

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ebay, sierra trading post, or discount stores ftw.

Boss is fused garbage.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
You should be able to get a new pair of Allen Edmonds shoes in the $100-$200 range.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by effortlesstyle
It looks like I may be the only person here that can't spend $2000 on a suit and $300-600 on a pair of shoes, yikes!

I doubt that the majority of members here spend $2000 and $600.

My maximum for a suit so far is $600 (for an oxxford) and my maximum for shoes is $325 (or maybe it was $360 - it was for an C&J Handgrade). Most of my shoes were bought in the $100-200 range.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You mention European styles, so I'll toss out Corneliani as a possibility. It should work well for your build, and can be found for $400 or less with some hunting. STP often gets them in stock. Even the solids can be had NWT for less than $600, with some effort.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
You mention European styles, so I'll toss out Corneliani as a possibility. It should work well for your build, and can be found for $400 or less with some hunting. STP often gets them in stock. Even the solids can be had NWT for less than $600, with some effort.
Hey! I was going tomention Corneliani. You can also find at discount Polo Blue Label, made by Corneliani. The european models are slimmer (although half canvas). Stillpretty good and vastly superior to stuff you'd find at Macy's or Banana Republic. If you are confident on your measurements, eBay can be a great resource. A few members on this place have an eBay presence, too.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might want to visit Saks Off Fifth or Neiman Marcus Last Call if you live near those.

$100-200 is plenty to find a great pair of shoes on sale.

If you find a pair you like, write back with the brand, and any identifying info, and the people here will tell you what they think.

I wear fat guy suits so I can't help you with the slim cut stuff.

Carey

Reaction score
His stuff is cheap, especially on sale, and is supposed to affect a more British style. If you like Boss, then TH can't be too far off for the same quality of manufacture. One of the larger department stores in my town always has these for less than $400.00

It has been said here before: go to a store and try on the Corneliani's, then if you do the ebay or Sierra Trading Post thing, you will have an idea of what fits you - so it is less of a crap shoot.

At 22, don't invest too much $$$ into very high quality suits. Your body will probably change in the next five years, and you won't be able to wear anything. Between the age of 22 and 27 I went from a 39L to a 41L.
Now at 45, I have been wearing a 42L for the past 15 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads