• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help with new Seiko Spirit

acrackl

Reaction score
Just got myself a new Seiko Spirit, and I am finding that the hour hand alignment is slightly off. It takes about 5-7 minutes past the hour, for the hour hand to line up with the hour marker perfectly. Is this abnormal or am I being paranoid? Having taken it out of the box, I have worn this now for ~ 2 hours. Does it get better as time goes on? Thanks ... trying to decide whether to ask for a replacement.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hour hand been attached at an incorrect angle. Wind the watch to 6 o'clock and you'll see it clearly. This is an easy fix for a watch repairer. You can have it done for less than the price of sending the watch back to Japan. It's not like you have a warranty anyway, assuming that you bought it from a proxy.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems of for me, have never heard of a watch to have a delay in the hand alignment. And that is 1/12 of that is a lot, if you tilt a watch you could expect a visual trick by 1-4secs ...
Would not there be a SEIKO forum that would be most likely to give you a proper answer?

Speed

acrackl

Reaction score
Thanks. I can see it clearly at 12:00. The hour hand and minute hand dont line up. There is a small lag in the hour hand. The watch came with an international warranty (bought from seiya Japan). I also posted on Timezone to see if they have any advice. Just for reference, this is what I am talking about

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
The hour hand been attached at an incorrect angle. This is an easy fix for a watch repairer.
+1 And probably under warranty
Originally Posted by acrackl
Thanks. I can see it clearly at 12:00. The hour hand and minute hand dont line up. There is a small lag in the hour hand. The watch came with an international warranty (bought from seiya Japan). I also posted on Timezone to see if they have any advice. Just for reference, this is what I am talking about
I would cal that a huge lag ... but think TZ will post something like this to. Find an AD and see if they accept the warranty card. Dont know how that works in the us for non distributed goods ... But someone @ TZ most likely will. Speed

enarchay

Reaction score
Hey, just curious what you ended up doing about the situation. I recently received a Seiko SCVS013 (which I love btw), but now I'm all paranoid about finding flaws with it. I just got the watch time set perfectly, so I'll check later to see if the hands align correctly.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like a rare issue to have. I have three Seikos and have no problems with any of them. Additionally, Seiya has a good reputation so I would assume if the OP had contacted him, he would have recommended the best solution.

Edit - Aww damn necropost.

acrackl

Reaction score
I returned it to Seiya and he replaced with another one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads