• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

please help with essay

gyl0119

Reaction score
hi if anyone has ever written an esasy on alienation, please give me some ideas
i topic is something like this

the process at which familiar objects are placed in an unfamiliar setting brings upon conflicts for the object in the new setting; hence the object is alienated from the general norm of the new setting.

sry for lack of grammatical skills.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Is your lack of skills because English isn't your first language or are you just being lazy?

datasupa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gyl0119
the process at which gyl0119 is placed in an unfamiliar setting brings upon conflicts for the gyl0119 in the new setting; hence the gyl0119 is alienated from the general norm of the new setting.
fixed

gyl0119

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
^^Is your lack of skills because English isn't your first language or are you just being lazy?

english is my third language

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you translate from one language to a second and then to English?

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
How about this idea:

Object = Lobster from restaurant aquarium

New setting = Boiling Lobster pot

There is nothing more alienating to live flesh than boiling water and no gulf* of alienation so profoundly wide as that which exists between the living and the dead. At least they take that horribly constricting rubber band off your claw so you can wave goodbye.

* I would have said chasm but seafood alienation is all about the sea. I once had seafood alienation a few hours after a repast of oysters on the half shell but thats another story all together.

Reaction score
the process at which familiar objects are placed in an unfamiliar setting brings upon conflicts for the object in the new setting; hence the object is alienated from the general norm of the new setting.

I just don't know how an "object" can have feelings such as conflicted or alienated. Feelings are subjective and something that feels is a subject. At least how I understand it. When you state that an object feels something because it is displaced, you are projecting subjective feelings about what the subject not the object must feel.

The martian object came from objective outer space to our objective earth.
The Martian subject feels alienated on this planet.

I'm confused as u.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shouldn't you be apologizing for asking us to do your homework for you? No matter what language you speak, that's cheating.

ccc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
How about this idea:

Object = Lobster from restaurant aquarium

New setting = Boiling Lobster pot

There is nothing more alienating to live flesh than boiling water and no gulf* of alienation so profoundly wide as that which exists between the living and the dead. At least they take that horribly constricting rubber band off your claw so you can wave goodbye.

* I would have said chasm but seafood alienation is all about the sea. I once had seafood alienation a few hours after a repast of oysters on the half shell but thats another story all together.

I'm still laughing - very funny!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zennyboy21
Maybe try doing an easier subject if you can

There's an easier subject than writing about being a freshman?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wrote a few essays on this subject years ago (Freshman year in college) from Intro to humanities. Here are some topics I talked about:

1. The Greek play Medea (she was a foreigner==>alienated==>killed babies . This is a topic dealing with political-sociological theme.
2. Anything dealing with war, good example is the movie Apocalypse Now or the book All quiet on the Western Front. War, and the many branches of human miseries (starvation, plague, disaster), is always a good topic for the discourse on alienation
3. Anything by Albert Camus. I suggest the "the stranger." He talked about alienation extensively, although from a more philosophical and religious standpoint.

http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/phenandexist.html

I wrote essays on the three works mentioned above and the prompt is on the topic of alienation, or as my prof called it the schizophrenia of modern view.

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
seafood alienation! great name for a band

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics