• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Help with a Sport Coat - Matching/Pairing

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
I have a sport coat that fits well. I love the colors and the fabric. It has a nice cold-weather appeal that is rare in the South (US). I don't have the opportunity to wear it much, due to the weather being warm most of the year... When I do have the opportunity, I find it very hard to match with slacks/ties. I would really appreciate some help.

I have added some pictures that hopefully give you a good feel for the true fabric/color.

Honestly, what I would love is for some of you to simply tell me how you would pair this coat with pants, ties, shirts. I like color, but I find myself pairing this with bland colors and I end up feeling like I am wearing all khaki, or brown, or something similar. I just want some good advice on how to make this more usable.

Thanks.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a sport coat that fits well. I love the colors and the fabric. It has a nice cold-weather appeal that is rare in the South (US). I don't have the opportunity to wear it much, due to the weather being warm most of the year... When I do have the opportunity, I find it very hard to match with slacks/ties. I would really appreciate some help.

I have added some pictures that hopefully give you a good feel for the true fabric/color.

Honestly, what I would love is for some of you to simply tell me how you would pair this coat with pants, ties, shirts. I like color, but I find myself pairing this with bland colors and I end up feeling like I am wearing all khaki, or brown, or something similar. I just want some good advice on how to make this more usable.

Thanks.

Nice coat. Will pair very well with light or medium grey trousers.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Thank you. I presume that the pants will have to be solid, as the coat obviously has a pattern. I have a few pairs of medium gray trousers but they are all slightly patterned. I will need to get a solid pair.

With regard to shirt/tie, I have tried to go with a simple white shirt and worked the tie in with the light blue in the coat's pattern. Any other ideas are appreciated.

I just want to mix it up a bit, but I am not confident with pairing to this specific jacket for some reason.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a tough color to pair given that it is gray. Which picture is more representative of the darkness of the color, the first (very light) or last (very dark)? If it is closer to the last, then you can probably get away with light gray pants, but I would probably go with light brown (tan) to get a tonal difference as well. If it is lighter than the last pic, then I'm not sure what to pair it with. Maybe not-quite-navy blue?

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Tough indeed. I think that is what has me stumped.

The color is closer to the first picture, so lighter. I was trying to mess with the flash and overall lighting to give a proper impression of the true color. It is a lighter gray, warm with a hint of brown. That is why I do not like pairing it with brown pants. I feel too khaki, like Jack Hanna-ish.

Maybe I'll just wear it with jeans and stop trying to dress it up...

Thanks for any additional tips.

Last edited:

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
Just bumping in hopes of someone having some other ideas.

Thanks!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burn it?

Not easy to match, but grey trousers or wear it with dark jeans.

dohare

Reaction score
navy? seems obvious am i missing something?

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score

I actually might try this with some navy suit pants this weekend. I will still struggle with the tie. I would love to do something red and navy, but I do not think that would work. I am really open to tie suggestions. General colors you see being good here.

I am just going to go drink the Ardbeg I have in my office until I hear back.

brokencycle

Reaction score
For ties, I think you need to avoid traditional conservative business ties such as stripes or small, neat patterns. Try a solid wool knit or something similar.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For ties, I think you need to avoid traditional conservative business ties such as stripes or small, neat patterns. Try a solid wool knit or something similar.

Agreed, though I'm not sure I've ever seen a wool knit. A silk knit should still be fine, or a wool tie would work as well. Burgundy and navy (among others) would work fine.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is a strong dislike for navy pants on this forum. There is also a strong dislike for having a the jacket lighter than the pants. In addition, there is a dislike of wearing suit pants with rustic sportcoats. I agree the most with the last one, but the other 2 points have some merit.

If the OP wears navy suit pants with this jacket, it probably won't work out well. Maybe something lighter than navy would work, and preferably not worsted suit pants. This might mean flannels, but I don't know that I've ever seen navy flannel pants. It might make sense to go with a lighter blue chino or something, but obviously this dresses down the whole look. Not sure if this is something that the OP would have an issue with or not.

Something like this might work (in the "raw steel" color):
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/pants/bowerypants/PRDOVR~21606/21606.jsp

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Avoid khaki or tan. Go for an off-white like this:

It is a contemporary look in menswear appropriate for Fall/Winter. Wearing navy or brown pants, IMO will look old fashioned. The off white ones will look updated.

Try pairing them with tan leather or tobacco brown suede shoes.

Wear a solid blue shirt. Don't wear white, it will look washed out. You need the color. Actually a solid pink shirt would be very nice as well.

I would also wear this with jeans, a blue or pink OCBD and suede bucks or chuckas for a relaxed comfortable look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads