• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help measure my chest - getting 2" variation depending on tape placement.

lalaland

Reaction score
I ordered the Indochino Essential Navy Blazer. I have nailed (I think) each Indochino measurement except the chest measurement. If I measure at the nipples I am getting around 41.5". But if I measure two inches higher the measurement is 43.5" The Indochino video says to measure the chest diameter at the widest point on your chest, which is usually around the nipples and their video clearly shows a measuring tape at a man's nipples:

My problem is that my torso continues to widen above the nipples:

So the key question is - what do I enter as my chest measurement? currently I'm splitting the difference and going with 42.5

And apologies for the shirtless pic - I didn't have any tight enough t-shirts to demonstrate my point.

Last edited:

lalaland

Reaction score
Oh for crying out loud. C'mon - a little help here please.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Widest point. I've never heard of any man measuring at the nipples.

lalaland

Reaction score
Hmm - much appreciated. Guess I'll go with the 43.5"

lalaland

Reaction score
The question is - do you include shoulder blades in a chest measurement or not? In other words - put the tape over the blades, or just under them? Under will give a smaller measurement.

lalaland

Reaction score
Also - what is "flat" posture? I've heard the term "erect" before but not flat. They make you choose one of them. I went with "normal":

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Flat posture looks like it is the same as erect and that is what you should use. You have a very erect posture. Verify with the maker if that is what they mean by flat, don't guess. It makes a big difference how they cut the cloth.

Measure over the fullest part of your chest and shoulder blade and make sure the tape is horizontal and parallel with the floor. Depending on the ease they build into their pattern you may need 42, 43 or 44. You won't know until you try. Take a measurement over your arms and chest and post the number.

Last edited:

lalaland

Reaction score
Thanks Despos - I'll do that right now and post it in a minute. You're a godsend. When I took the largest measurement - 43.5" - I used tape in several places to hold the tape horizontal. I found that without that I couldn't get it to stay properly for the measurement.

lalaland

Reaction score
50" over the arm measured at the same latitude as the 43.5" chest measurement. What does this mean Despos? EDIT: Good God. I just looked you up and realized who you are. I can't believe you're answering fit questions for free from punters like me ordering $300 MTM jackets online. But I thank you. If you're ever in L.A. and I can do anything for you let me know - I'll pm you my info.

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think op should do battle with reevolving, ancient Olympics wrestling style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads