• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me with prom

white collar

Reaction score
ok so ive only gone to one school dance before and i was 10 i think. I think they are stupid and almost everyone while being "dressed up" is poorly dressed. But i was asked and shes worth it. She will be wearing a white dress with some small sparkles on it. Im planing on wearing a black 3 piece suit (which i own) and a black shirt with a white tie to match her dress. Im open to any and all suggestions, please feel free to say do away with the whole outfit or just give me some advice. Below are the ties (on ebay) im thinking about buying, let me know which one would look better. Thank you very much.

tie 1

tie 2

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There are a million threads on here about proms, use the search function to get some background. Black suit with black shirt has fail written all over it. Please don't do this.

Ed w

Reaction score
Generally speaking, black shirt+black suit is a bad idea, google images can show you photos of men dressed as such and I don't particularly find it appealing at all. In case you wear any other shirt, the second tie is the better of the two but I can guarantee there are better options out there (yes, even on the bay).

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

ok so ive only gone to one school dance before and i was 10 i think. I think they are stupid and almost everyone while being "dressed up" is poorly dressed. But i was asked and shes worth it. She will be wearing a white dress with some small sparkles on it. Im planing on wearing a black 3 piece suit (which i own) and a black shirt with a white tie to match her dress. Im open to any and all suggestions, please feel free to say do away with the whole outfit or just give me some advice. Below are the ties (on ebay) im thinking about buying, let me know which one would look better. Thank you very much.
tie 1
tie 2
Above speakers are right, there are tons of threads on this topic, but I'll give you some feedback none the less; 1. Black shirts are a bad idea in general and with a black suit in particular. 2. Matching your date is a big NO NO. Whatever you do, don't match your date.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black suit + black shirt is bad.

Black shirt + white tie is terrible.

The black 3-piece will probably be fine as long as it fits well, but buy a white shirt and a decent (non-white) tie.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd echo the suggestion to do a search for "prom" and take a look at some of the suggestions offered as well. I'd wear a classic black tuxedo (one button, peak or shawl lapel, low cut vest or cummerbund in black, black self-tie bow tie). By actually wearing a proper tuxedo, you will stand out in a good way.

If you end up doing the three piece suit instead of the tuxedo, wear a white shirt. Do not wear a white tie.

I agree with the others who say that trying to matching your date is a bad idea (it's not elegant and seldom looks good). In this case, your date is wearing a white dress and you will be wearing an outfit with plenty of white in it. Add a white linen pocket square (which you should wear regardless) and you should not have to worry about the matching thing.

white collar

Reaction score
thank you all very much for the suggestions, thay are much appreciated !! ive gone through some other prom threads. As of now my new plan will be to wear a tux (james bond style) with a black bow tie. New questions are 1. velvet bow tie ? 2. what style jacket ? im looking at a low shawl collar jacket ?

white collar

Reaction score
I should mention i have a black 2 button calvin klein tux in my size not sure in two button tux's are a no

AdamWill

Reaction score
"2-button calvin klein" are not words to fill tuxedo snobs with happiness, no :) do you have a picture? it may well have issues beyond the 2 button...ness.

socrates

Reaction score
Now for the bow tie. Go to YouTube and find a video "how to tie a bow tie" , and practice, practice, practice. A self tie bow tie is way classier than a clip on. It is worth the effort.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd wear a classic black tuxedo (one button, peak or shawl lapel, low cut vest or cummerbund in black, black self-tie bow tie).

That covers jacket style. As for the bow tie, it should be one you tie yourself and either satin or grosgrain depending on the lapels of your tuxedo jacket.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black suit + black shirt is bad.

Black shirt + white tie is terrible.

The black 3-piece will probably be fine as long as it fits well, but buy a white shirt and a decent (non-white) tie.

Sanguis Mortuum is wise. Heed his counsel.

white collar

Reaction score
thank you so much for the help. Since im now going with a tux i have a whole new set of questions so i will be making a new thread for those complete with pictures of the jacket i have. That will be up by tonight so please head over and check it out.

thank you in advance for the help

johnvw

Reaction score
I'd wear a classic black tuxedo (one button, peak or shawl lapel, low cut vest or cummerbund in black, black self-tie bow tie).

That covers jacket style. As for the bow tie, it should be one you tie yourself and either satin or grosgrain depending on the lapels of your tuxedo jacket.

OP, if you have decided to wear a tuxedo, this is good advice. It should answer some of your questions.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads