• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me with my wardrobe

Reaction score
I have a terrible fashion sense and I'm looking to get some advice on where to start. I would like to get some ideas. I want to start dressing better for going out to places like the mall or places like bars/clubs or parties. I am about 5' 8" with an athletic build, when I start lifting again I tend to get a lot of mass in my upper body which tends to make me look short and stocky. My hair is very curly when grown out.

Anyway I would love to get some opinions on what I can try, pants, shirts, haircut etc.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/7055/WP_20140412_001_zpsd0704e72.jpg

Last edited:

dan138zig

Reaction score
Just go to the WAYWT thread and browse around for a good week or so. Also search the thread called $5000 wardrobe

Reaction score
Last edited:

dan138zig

Reaction score
that outfit doesn't look like something that belongs in the WAYWT today, man. I'm not saying the WAYWT is a definitive guide to how you HAVE to dress, but it's a good benchmark

Last edited:

a bag of it

Reaction score

Okay, I did a little looking around in the WAYWT thread and then went out to Macy's to buy something. The problem I have is that I'm short and I think my shirts go too far down past my waist. Any thoughts? Any thoughts on what I picked out?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/7055/stuff/WP_20140412_003_zpse3265542.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/7055/stuff/WP_20140412_002_zpsa7e5a2a0.jpg

Shirt and pants are way too big/baggy. Definitely return. I would check out MFA on reddit, it is much more catered to beginners and they have some great guides to get you started.

UpDownAeroplane

Reaction score
Shirt and pants are way too big/baggy. Definitely return. I would check out MFA on reddit, it is much more catered to beginners and they have some great guides to get you started.
yeah, they have a whole sidebar with guides for beginners, i never scanned through it but it's probably pretty decent.

Reaction score

The problem I have is that I don't think I can get any shirts that fit me, I'm to short and stocky so the shirts go too far down past my waist. The shirt in the picture barely fits my upper body but comes down too far. When I start lifting again and start putting on weight it gets even worse.

dan138zig

Reaction score
there's always a tailor to fix that for you. about your shirt pick, regardless of the fit I just think it's boring. looks like something from walmart that is worn by regular dads. look for something from uniqlo, j. crew, or brooks brothers. they're some good entry level brands. and the jeans are too baggy.

Last edited:

Reaction score
there's always a tailor to fix that for you. about your shirt pick, regardless of the fit I just think it's boring. looks like something from walmart that is worn by regular dads. look for something from uniqlo, j. crew, or brooks brothers. they're some good entry level brands. and the jeans are too baggy.

Okay thanks, assuming the jeans fit better, what pattern/style of shirt would you have gone with?

chet31

Reaction score
Since you are just getting started, you will go crazy trying to do everything at once. I suggest starting simple. First, find a pair of jeans that fit. Dark wash denim can be dressed up pretty well. OK, there's a million choices, so I'll narrow it down. Start with Levi's. They're inexpensive, decent quality, and most importantly, have a lot of cuts. JC Penney's carries a wide range of Levi's, try going there. Try every cut they have. Take 6 pair at a time (or whatever they allow) into the fitting room. Bring slip-on shoes. Budget an hour. Try the 501, 514, 569, etc. until you find a cut that fits you well. Skip the boot cuts, go with straight legs. The goal would be that you could find a "go to" cut and "go to" measurements. For example, you may find that "Levi's 514 in 36/30" consistently fit me well." If you're not sure, take photos of different cuts and post them here.

ShinyDuke

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a simple T-shirt and Jean combo. For your build I'd say slim fit is best. Not skinny, but slim. So 19cm hem builds. As for your hairstyle, definitely change it, hair can make a HUGE difference. You said your hair gets curly, perhaps try something along the lines of this.

Im not sure about your face proportions and everything, because hair works that way depending on your facial structure. However, if you want the chiselled look, which I don't see why not, and since you lift, get your BF below 10% and if you are lucky your jawbone will be very defined and manly.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For someone with an overly large upper torso, boot-cut jeans might actually be better than straight leg. (Definitely avoid skinny jeans.) Anyway, it wouldn't be hard to come up with something decent, provided the fit is made right. The harder part is figuring out what specifically that style is, for age, location, occupation, etc. have not been stated. This isn't the section for haircut advice, and the pictures so far don't show enough of the face to enable informed advice on that.

red81

Reaction score
get the jeans first. don't buy everything at once.

johnmichael95

Reaction score
As a slim guy who has trouble putting any size on the upper body, I realized our experiences are actually pretty similar--although our bodies aren't!

First suggestion is to make sure your jeans are a little more trim--not suffocating tight, but they should be pretty close to the leg. The trimmer look will keep your upper body in context.
Personally, Levi 511 is my fit I like. Try different fits, and go with one you feel comfortable in. Whatever pair you decide on, buy the next shorter length--or maybe even shorter.

As a short guy, you don't need pooling at the ankles or all that extra material. Plus, it can look sloppy and stuff. Try to find a pair that hits just at the top of your shoes.

Second, make friends with a tailor. He can help you with shirts and all that. In my experiences as a slimmer guy who can never fill out shirts, having a tailor essentially "customize" a shirt for your body is the best way to go. Everyone's body is different, so our clothes should fit different for each body. A good tailor is even better than finding a shirt that fits "perfectly" off the rack--he or she can make it fit even better!

Finally, don't feel bound by advice and stuff--find your own vibe! Find out whats comfortable for you, and blend that with what people are telling you. You're in a great place to get good advice--these guys on here know their stuff. Blend their stuff with your stuff!

Best,
John

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads