• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me with BB chukka choice

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
I am really torn between getting the burgundy pebble chukka or the brown suede chukka. The extra 25% off ends tonight so I gotta decide quick.

I need some help here. For those who have either or both, which would pair best with a navy peacoat or dark brown leather car coat? These are the two casual outerwear pieces I rely on for staying warm so I need the boots to work well with them. I am not keen on getting the black chukkas, but will go that way in the end if I must.

Finally, are these running true to size, a bit large, or a bit small?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The burgundies look best by far, especially in real life.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Thanks T

Any other opinions?

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Agreed. No contest.

The black is uninspiring, and you can find much more impressive brown suede chukkas.

The burgundy is really a wonderful color.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, too red for sure.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Thanks all for weighing in. No offense Doc, but I am going with the general sentiment and buying the burgundy. I just hope they run true to size.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No go on burgundy,suede is much better.My burgundy pair was actually sold.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never owned a suede chukka, but I imagine that it can't hold up to well in winter. Firstly, it doesn't look terribly warm, and secondly I don't see suede doing very well against snow and slush.

Can anyone with some experience in the matter fill me in?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nuke, you could do what I did and order both. I really wanted to like the burgundy but did not.

Suede is as warm as any other calf shoe, assuming you don't go with an unlined pair. I wear it all winter, though not in snow. It holds up fine in light rain, but it's best to avoid the potential for staining, be it from snow, slush or road salt.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Crap, I am back to indecision again. Maybe I will order both as Doc suggests. Crap. Could I darken the suede (intentionally)? Maybe in the process of waterproofing them? The suede was my first choice but I didnt' think they'd go with my navy peacoat. Arrrgh!!

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The burgundy pair I received was way too red for my tastes and went back right off. I kept the suede.

Originally Posted by grimslade
Yes, too red for sure.

Interesting. Mine were a nice dark shade and, I imagine, will only improve with age and polish.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was just blindly agreeing with Doc, per our agreement.

I thought the color was fine, but the fit was bad and I think I really just don't like pebble grains, basically.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
Crap, I am back to indecision again. Maybe I will order both as Doc suggests. Crap. Could I darken the suede (intentionally)? Maybe in the process of waterproofing them? The suede was my first choice but I didnt' think they'd go with my navy peacoat. Arrrgh!!

On the contrary,I think that suede will compliment your navy coat.Then again,I love suede so I maybe bias.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just get both and return one, returns are easy. I do this all the time with BB.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads