• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me to dress properly!

hi123

Reaction score
I am 30, I've had plenty of short term girlfriends but nothing serious. I now want to find my other half and settle down.

I have never paid too much attention to style and looking my best. I'm not completely clueless but often times I realize that there is something un-stylish, not right, or faux-pax with the clothes I buy and end up regretting it.

I want to look my best from now on but I don't know where to start. I'm on a budget and travelling to Spain soon so I was planning to renew my wardrobe and buy some clothes from Zara. I know it's not the best but I always find their stuff to be quite stylish, slim and modern.

I have no idea what to buy. Should I get help from the salesmen? Just tell them I know nothing about fashion and to help me choose some good clothes? What if they have bad sense of style?

Do you think there is a better place in Europe, for example London where one can buy cheap good stuff?

Honestly I don't care too much right now for brand-name and quality as long as it helps me look good.

What are the absolute essentials if you want to look mature and reliable. I like casual suits and casual formal looks.

Blue suits without ties, thin sweaters on top of dress shirts.

What kinds of trousers go best with slim, nice looking dress shirts?

What are the faux pax to avoid?

I'm so lost. I have no sense of direction with my style. I have been told in the past I dress well, but I'm not confident. Sometimes I just go out with a black shirt, jeans and a blazer and people tell me I look good but if I step out of my comfort zone I'm scared I may make mistakes and also I don't want to buy new clothes that I will later regret buying because I later realize there's something wrong with them.

How can I learn more (and quickly)?

I've just been googling different men styles and learning from that...

These are some of the looks that I like:

PLEASE HELP THIS LOST BRO OUT!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads