• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me pick a leather jacket for my body type

rxcowboy

Reaction score
Hello all, I've been lurking for a while and finally had a question I had to come out of the wood work to post.

I want to buy a good quality leather jacket that I'll be able to wear for quite some time, so I can justify a high price for it, up to 1,000 dollars basically. I'm going to save up for it over the next three of four months to make sure I don't make a rush decision and spend outside of my range.

The problem is I'm rather tall and slim so I don't want anything that will look loose and bulky on me. I'm 6'3 and go between 150-160lbs. My sleeve length is normally 25-25 and 1/2, my chest is between 37-38 and my waist is around 31-32 inches if that helps. MY arms are obviously also pretty slim.

I know from personal experience that just about everything in mall shops from H&M to Wilsons to Nordstroms fits like **** on me when it comes to leather, so I'd like a helping hand.

With regards to style, I'm looking for something brown and 'simple', not too many pockets or garrish details. A retro look is great too.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I'm looking at the Aero webpage and like a couple of the designs but I have the feeling they aren't very slim fit and if I size down in the chest I'd worry about sleeve length .

rxcowboy

Reaction score
If the quality is good I don't really mind a knock off (I won't get into the ethics debate on it) but I don't like the shrivelled/prune look of the leather if that makes any sense

izlat

Reaction score
If it makes things any easier - I don't like the look and wouldn't buy this (type of) jacket either.

Some of the leather companies would be willing to make a jacket for you from your measurements for less than $1000, I think. I think Aero does this. But I'm not sure on the choices of leather and style - they may be limited; you'd have to call and ask

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads