• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me lose 20 lbs

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adobe10
i just bought a pedometer. tells me how many steps i did for a day. 1000 steps a day is my target
smile.gif

You are shooting low my friend, at least 10,000 steps is the goal.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
You are shooting low my friend, at least 10,000 steps is the goal.

yeah, I think it takes me 1,000 steps between bed -> bathroom -> coffee maker -> shower in the morning, but it's more of a shuffle.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
yeah, I think it takes me 1,000 steps between bed -> bathroom -> coffee maker -> shower in the morning, but it's more of a shuffle.

Yeah but that's just do to you falling into the wall on the left, then the wall on the right, then a couple steps backwards, repeat, etc. Drinking too much the night before will do that to you in the morning.
smile.gif

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no magic pill, no shortcut. Take your time, get your calories down. Cardio is an option but in my opinion it's overrated for weight loss. It helps, but it's not completely necessary. I haven't done any cardio in over a year and have maintained a pretty good weight (although the holidays are reversing a lot of that right now.) I would lift weights at least twice a week to keep yourself from losing muscle (thereby maximizing fat loss.)

Also, as far as calories go, it's not a bad idea to alternate: have one day where you have a caloric deficit and another where you get the minimum to maintain your current weight.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
There is no magic pill, no shortcut. Take your time, get your calories down. Cardio is an option but in my opinion it's overrated for weight loss. It helps, but it's not completely necessary. I haven't done any cardio in over a year and have maintained a pretty good weight (although the holidays are reversing a lot of that right now.) I would lift weights at least twice a week to keep yourself from losing muscle (thereby maximizing fat loss.)

Also, as far as calories go, it's not a bad idea to alternate: have one day where you have a caloric deficit and another where you get the minimum to maintain your current weight.

nice one. thanks

noel_esq.

Reaction score
You could do an EC stack, ephedra and caffeine pills. Works great and cheap.

ChrisLiu

Reaction score
Hell I use to weight 205, maybe 210 at my height. Now I weigh around 177. What happened to me started with a bout of tonsillitis. It was not pleasant I did not eat for about a week because I could not swallow. 20 pounds gone in a week, a lot of muscle also but I feel my stomach permanently shrunk after that... After that I signed up for Kickboxing class, I started this in April, I lost close to 25 pounds in about 4 months doing it. I go for a 1 hour class every Mon/Wed and Fridays I hit the bag I have at home for about 45 min and add a little pyrotechnics. I dont eat healthy but I am careful of what I eat. No rice if you dont cardio/lift prior to eating, no fried foods, no bread. Thats about it, drink water when you are bored. If you get the munchies take a few spoons of cottage cheese, or some cashew nuts. Air popped popcorn is great for a after dinner snack. Eat fruits when you get that thirsty/hungry/snacky kind of feeling.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
that's fucked up,22 lbs in 3 weeks?How many pounds were you?

Nah, I lost about 20lbs in 2 weeks on South Beach. All those carbs just melt off. I was about 30 lbs overweight and am currently about 15 lbs overweight.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bumping for SUMMER!

yayorc

Reaction score
its the slow, steady weight loss and muscle gain that sticks with you though.

And to whomever said cardio doesnt help - it probably does not help much in weight loss, but it helps a ton in weight maintenance, and its best to learn those habits early on. Stay active and do something to work up a sweat for at least 30 minutes a day. It keeps your heart and mind healthy.

ss10guy3

Reaction score
Try drinking a gallon of water a day. It can be unpleasant at first, but it keeps you busy, is good for your body, and can help curb the hunger. After that, switch out the carbs you eat with your meals for vegetables. A little bit of walking, and you'll be there.

dalej

Reaction score
get a new girlfriend or if married a side dish, always help me stay motivated to stay in shape.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dalej
get a new girlfriend or if married a side dish, always help me stay motivated to stay in shape.

nah. i'll stick to my wife.

update. well, i started this thread around sometime before thanksgiving 09. i did join a gym at that time and did lose up to another 4 pounds to about 191 , but then immediately after thanksgiving and through january, my schedule was jam packed. and was so tired when i wasnt. no excuse, but i dropped the gym membership. ballooned back up to 200 pounds at right around april tax time.
but then i got fed up and then i enrolled in my company's wellness program and im doing two things:
joined a team (walk challenge) each one of us has a pedometer and we all need to put in 20,000 steps per day. (it is alot i tell you). i need to keep myself accountable as others are depending on me so i cant go lazy or make an excuse like last time.

the thing is, ive learned a fantastic way to do walking. jogging-in-place at home. jog in place and with 5 pound weights in each hand with a striding motion to tone shoulders,chest,lat and supporting muscles in midsection. hopefullly i can go to 10 pounders but i cant sustain that for more than 15 minutes. i can go a whole 1 hour with 5 pounders. i break into a good sweat.

this is so great, because i always thought i either had to drive to a gym, or go walking outside in the dark after work. my wife feels stressful when i go walk outside in the dark so i dont do that often anymore, but this is a great solution. to jog in place. try it it works wonders for me now for 1 month.

it's something i can do.

so far after 1 month, i have dropped 5 pounds and am now down to 195 (perhaps even less). i can wear my old tshirts and polos again, and starting to wear some of the older pants i couldnt wear.
second, i am learning a new philosophy on food. eat to get nutrition. eat to sate your hunger. not appetite. learn to control the thought of that most 'appetite' is in the eyes and in the mouth. learn to master these two body parts.

i am eating a new way, no new foods or a drastic diet or anything, but eating the same things i eat at work and home but with smaller bites. i take a smaller scoop or with my chopstick pick up smaller bits and pieces and learn to enjoy the process of each bite. instead of just shoveling in food in my mouth all the time. i take a dinner that my wife hands me and learn to eat each bite with a thought. it was hard at first, but now i am making it hopefully a habit. i learn to be able to be through with eating after one portion.

i plan to be down to 189 or high 180s by end of the walk challenge. i will be immediately enrolling in another one right after it for the next quarter.
and perhaps one day i can start running again, and then enroll in our company's triathalon challenge (for advanced employees and members) . thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads